PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Serivce, no internet

Dark006
June 29th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Please help, I'm freaking out because this seems so much more complicated than it probably is. Ok, so what happened is we switched from AT&T to Comcast for our ISP. I already owned a Linksys router so we are using that one (its the WRT160N). The wireless worked on my desktop before last year when I was running Hardy Heron.

But now that I set it up it the wireless won't connect to my desktop. I'm using ndiswrapper on my desktop by the way. Everything else in the house (like Xbox 360's and PS3's) connects fine to my router. Even the laptop I'm on right now which is running Ubuntu 9.04.

I set up the router with WPA2 Personal using either TKIP or AES. Currently there is no MAC filtering going on either, and the SSID is broadcasting.

Please help if you have any ideas, I'll gladly post the output from either my desktop or this laptop.

Merk42
June 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Does it work if it is hard wired into the computer?

Dark006
June 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I'm sure it would, but I have no way of testing for sure because my desktop is downstairs and the router/modem is upstairs.

LewRockwell
June 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I must be missing something?

the only thing that changed was the wireless router, correct?

and I'm sure you've made sure it is set to the same channel(frequency) as the previous set-up?

you'll notice that some other devices and other distros automatically search through the frequencies but I don't think that ubuntu does

you wanna see something neat...throw in a liveCD of Damn Small Linux...lol.

LewRockwell
June 29th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm sure it would, but I have no way of testing for sure because my desktop is downstairs and the router/modem is upstairs.

what!?!

and here I thought everyone had a spare 100ft cat5 cable lying around...

Dark006
June 29th, 2009, 09:18 PM
what!?!

and here I thought everyone had a spare 100ft cat5 cable lying around...

Lol, thats funny because we actually did have a 100ft cable in the house.

But on to the channel/frequency thing, how do I change that?

LewRockwell
June 29th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Lol, thats funny because we actually did have a 100ft cable in the house.

But on to the channel/frequency thing, how do I change that?

on the wireless router or your computer?

Dark006
June 29th, 2009, 09:41 PM
So to clarify a few things, the only thing that changed is the router. My wireless adapter does work, because it can see all the wireless networks around me, but it just won't connect to mine. I put in the WPA key and it just sits and thinks and doesn't connect, and everyone once in a while it asks for the key again.

And I was wondering how to change the channel on my desktop.

Dark006
June 30th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Any ideas? anyone? ...please? I'm about to re-install Ubuntu.

wojox
June 30th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Log into your router from what your on now and check the paraphrase or password.
Or disable the key and try.