PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04

2mayan
June 29th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I am a novice UBUNTU user and definately need some help dealing with a bad 9.04 upgrade. The upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 worked beautifully. Then when i upgraded to 9.04 (using the recommended network upgrade procedure) everything went smoothly up to the point where you "click restart computer" to finish the upgrade. When the computer booted back up i have a combination of bluescreen of death, wierd color patters and a few DELL logos partially written and nothing else. I've tried hitting esc at bootup but there are no options to go back to 8.10. I assume that my graphics card may be incompatible with 9.04. I have a DELL inspiron 530, came preloaded with 8.04. Need help as i have no computer capability at this time. Thanks,

LewRockwell
June 29th, 2009, 07:23 PM
For present and future readers of this thread:

Please be advised that most techs and hobbyists HIGHLY recommend that you use the appropriate liveCD version to TEST your system BEFORE you switch versions.

We checked "Dell Inspiron 530" and it showed many various builds so we have no idea what components are in your particular unit.

Best advice is to get both liveCD 8.10 and liveCD 9.04

Use 8.10 to rescue/back-up anything you can't afford to lose(move it to another partition or another drive or burn it to CD/DVD media)

Then you can try out liveCD 9.04 to see if maybe it was just the upgrade procedure which failed...or if Jaunty is indeed deficient in some manner

keep us posted!

2mayan
June 30th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks Lew, much appreciated. Everything i had read online highly recommended the network upgrade and i figured it was a stable version having been released in april. My bad. 8.10 had gone smoothly (except for lost sound).
I'll download the 2 liveCd's from my office and see how things go.
thanks