PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help....someone help lol.

Light Knight
June 29th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'm trying to remove nvidia-glx-new

apt-get remove nvidia-glx-new
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

I'm guessing I need to be in root or what ever that is. I'm brand new to ubuntu....

Anyway the reason I'm trying remove nvidia-glx-new is because I am trying to manually install the drivers from Nvidia for my 9600gt.

I am running Hardy.

halitech
June 29th, 2009, 04:38 PM
you need to use sudo if you are doing it from the terminal

studiodude
June 29th, 2009, 04:52 PM
What the post above means is that to execute that command in the terminal window as root you need to type
sudo apt-get remove nvidia-glx-new

sudo stands for I think "super user do"

prvteprts
June 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM
To add on to the previous posts, sudo is useful because it gives you super user privileges for around 15 minutes, eliminating the need for you to enter your password everytime you need the privileges. Correct me if I am wrong, but gksudo does pretty much the same thing, except it prompts you with a dialog box instead of a command line input prompt. I think it's useful in programming for launching things that need super user privileges without scaring the user by popping up a terminal window heh heh. Like in C you could have:

system("gksudo");

Apologies if I got carried away :D.

Mornedhel
June 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM
To add on to the previous posts, sudo is useful because it gives you super user privileges for around 15 minutes, eliminating the need for you to enter your password everytime you need the privileges. Correct me if I am wrong, but gksudo does pretty much the same thing, except it prompts you with a dialog box instead of a command line input prompt. I think it's useful in programming for launching things that need super user privileges without scaring the user by popping up a terminal window heh heh. Like in C you could have:

system("gksudo");

Apologies if I got carried away :D.

It's mostly useful for not having to launch an xterm everytime you want to run something with administrator rights.

jimv
June 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Notice: Sudo is not a replacement for assertiveness and will not work in real-life situations. "Sudo make me a sandwich" will not get you a sandwich, it will only get you strange looks.

Light Knight
June 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Thank you for the very quick replies. The sudo thing solved my issue. :)

decoherence
June 29th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Notice: Sudo is not a replacement for assertiveness and will not work in real-life situations. "Sudo make me a sandwich" will not get you a sandwich, it will only get you strange looks.

Nooo!!! XKCD does not lie!!!!

or should that be

sudo XKCD does not lie!!!!

hmmm... command not found.... ok you might be right, then...

philcamlin
June 29th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Nooo!!! XKCD does not lie!!!!

or should that be

sudo XKCD does not lie!!!!

hmmm... command not found.... ok you might be right, then...

what :P

and thats great that its fixed :)