PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What does this mean please?

listerdl
June 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hi I am trying to follow a tutorial and it reads:

While still in the vuze (name of the programme) directory in the terminal type:

sudo mv "azureus" "/usr/bin/azureus"
sudo mv "vuze" "/usr/bin/vuze"
cd ..
sudo mv "vuze" "/usr/share/vuze/"

Does this mean that I type the above in the terminal? Otherwise it refers to me having to type in the directory - but where is that?

Thanks - !

halitech
June 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM
yes you would do it in the terminal but why not install the version in the repo?

listerdl
June 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
yes you would do it in the terminal but why not install the version in the repo?

You know the odd thing is that I did write this code in the terminal and absolutely nothing happened.....no confirmation no nothing....

The situation I am now in is that it keeps telling me that:

Vuze wouldn't update, it always said that "The folder /usr/share/vuze" is not writable.

Then suddenly the programme updates itself and I have to restart Vuze and the process repeats itself in a loop!

Should I install and do the repo?

Thanks for all advice!!

halitech
June 29th, 2009, 02:22 PM
unless there was an error you wouldn't see any output.

I would install from the repo. Either open Synaptic and search for vuze or in the terminal, do

sudo apt-get install vuze
enter your password (you won't see it) and it will install and you should have an item in the menu

listerdl
June 29th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the help....but do you think I ought to uninstall my previous attempts and if so what is the best way to do that? Thanks!!!

halitech
June 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
might be a good idea. I can't remember the way to do it from the command line but you can open nautilus as sudo and delete just that folder

gksudo nautilus

listerdl
June 29th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks I really appreciate your help. So I need to open Nautilius and delete anythig that says Vuze I guess.....thanks.

Gosh - why dont people tell you to simply just install like you did - there are lots of tutorials that seem to confuse rather than help!!

halitech
June 29th, 2009, 02:34 PM
just go to "/usr/bin/" and delete the vuze folder

the only downside to the versions of apps in the repo is they could be a version or 2 behind the latest release that the developer has released but this way, it will stay updated and has been tested to work with the version of Ubuntu you have installed.

listerdl
June 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
ah - and I think that you have hit the problem there. The issue is that the program is unable to update itself as per this advice:

"To install Vuze 4.0.0.4 to Ubuntu Intrepid, I had to change the ownership of /usr/share/vuze to username, using

sudo chown yourusername:yourusername /usr/share/vuze

Vuze wouldn't update, it always said that "The folder /usr/share/vuze" is not writable.

Thing is that when I tried to do this in the terminal "sudo chown yourusername:yourusername /usr/share/vuze" - it just gave me a bad command - did i do wrong there?

THANKS I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TIME

halitech
June 29th, 2009, 02:39 PM
when you tried that, did you change yourusername:yourusername to your actual username?

jerome1232
June 29th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Either actually type your username or you can use this

sudo chown $USER:$USER /usr/share/vuze

listerdl
June 29th, 2009, 02:42 PM
yes i used my username - thanks for advice jerome1232 - does that act as a sort of generic username that applies to all programes?

halitech
June 29th, 2009, 02:45 PM
if you changed it to your proper username then I'm not sure why it would have failed

listerdl
June 29th, 2009, 02:48 PM
AH - I just realised - I never added the dollar sign - that must have been the problem - do I need to add the $ sign - (I would try now but am not near the computer in questions!!)

halitech
June 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM
$USER will read what user you are currently logged in as and replace $USER with your username

jerome1232
June 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM
yes i used my username - thanks for advice jerome1232 - does that act as a sort of generic username that applies to all programes?

It's a system variable that represents the current user's name.

ie if you typed "echo $USER" it would return your user's name.

You only need the dollar sign if your using a variable as in my example.

listerdl
June 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM
ok great thanks for the tip I will try that later. Thanks again. Appreciate it.