PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nautilus ftp problems

pspsampsp
June 29th, 2009, 08:57 AM
i am having a few problems with the nautilus ftp client i can connect to my server and browse directorys and stuff , i then open something up to edit in gedit and i can edit it , however after about 5 mins of doing stuff like this it stops working and usually i will have to forcequit either gedit or nautilus and force quiting nautilus causes the desktop icons to diappear and i have to logout and logback in , is anyone else having these problems and does anyone have any ideas onimproving the stablity of nautilus ftp.

ps. ftp works fine when using a client such as filezilla.

kellemes
June 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM
(..)ftp works fine when using a client such as filezilla.

Keep using it.. Nautilus is no ftp-client.

diablo75
June 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Nautilus works good for most things for me, but I always copy stuff to my local PC before attempting to edit it, and the upload back after I'm done. And I'm not sure how seriously I could take the "nautilus is not an FTP client" considering when you attach to an FTP resource, it treats it like a mounted drive just like it were another hard drive or flash drive (you get an icon that requires "unmounting" if you want to end your connection to the server).

However, it isn't the best. Once I had to upload over 6 gigs of AVI files that I shot myself to my server for others to download and use in an editing project, and nautilus would timeout the upload early. Retry after retry failed. So I downloaded gftp via Add/Remove and used that instead. Worked flawlessly.