PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why is the CPU running at 100%?

dunbrokin
June 29th, 2009, 08:25 AM
...but when I check in htop etc....i can only find about 25% of cpu?

mcduck
June 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM
What makes you think you have CPU usage of 100% if top reports only 25%?

Could you post output of top here so we can have a look, otherwise this is just going to be a random guessing competition.. ;)

dunbrokin
June 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=mcduck;7533550

Could you post output of top here so we can have a look, otherwise this is just going to be a random guessing competition.. ;)[/QUOTE]

How do I capture the output of TOP in text format to print here?

dunbrokin
June 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Ah...I think this is what you are looking for..

mcduck
June 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Just highlight the text in terminal, and then middle-click to paste it. Or sue Shift-Ctrl-C to copy from terminal.

And you'll definitely want to use the code-tags (the "#"-button when typing a message to these forums) around the output.

edit: screenshot works quite fine as well, but then you'll have to make it big enough to actually show the process names etc. Also, make sure you haven't hidden kernel threads or other user's processes, and that you have scrolled to very top of the output (so that the programs with highest CPU usage are actually visible)

dunbrokin
June 29th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Oooops...sorry ...on all counts....

SunnyRabbiera
June 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Sometimes readouts like this are not that accurate with linux, the way Linux interacts with hardware is much different then how windows does.
Sometimes the readouts take a guess with things like RAM, hard drive space, CPU scaling and the like.
But this depends on the hardware, some hardware interacts well with Linux while others sometimes there is a workaround used.
I have seen this happen with my hardware, but its mostly nothing to worry about.
But I have seen windows do it too.

dunbrokin
June 29th, 2009, 12:53 PM
OK, thanks....not seen it happen before....I think it changed during the last update.

lovinglinux
June 29th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I've seen cases where the system monitor app in the gnome panel reports 100% CPU usage and you feel that the machine is busy, but top gives a report with much less CPU usage.

I bet the problem is the Remote Desktop, which is loaded by default. To solve this open "System >> Preferences >> Startup Applications (aka Session)", disable the "Remote Desktop" option and reboot.

dunbrokin
June 29th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Yeah, Hmmmm.

The problem is that this PC does need the remote desktop as it is the one that runs my weather station and I need to interrogate it from my normal PC.

lovinglinux
June 30th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah, Hmmmm.

The problem is that this PC does need the remote desktop as it is the one that runs my weather station and I need to interrogate it from my normal PC.

I wouldn't use remote desktop. It's not secure.

If you need remote access, use ssh. You can do anything from ssh command-line. If you need or prefer graphical interface, then enable ssh X forwarding, so you can launch applications from the remote machine, but display them on the local machine. The only difference is that you don't see the desktop. Additionally, you can setup ssh to use encryption keys.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHHowto
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH/OpenSSH/Configuring
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH/OpenSSH/Keys
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AdvancedOpenSSH
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHFS

dunbrokin
June 30th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks...maybe it is time for me to move to ssh.

dunbrokin
June 30th, 2009, 02:29 AM
. The only difference is that you don't see the desktop. [/url]

Hmmm...I need to see the Weather Station graphs etc from my own PC...so does that rule out SSH?

dunbrokin
June 30th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I bet the problem is the Remote Desktop, which is loaded by default. To solve this open "System >> Preferences >> Startup Applications (aka Session)", disable the "Remote Desktop" option and reboot.

You win your bet...that did indeed solve the problem....but now I cannot see my Weather PC...so I guess SSH is the way to go to solve that.

Pinball Wizard
June 30th, 2009, 02:45 AM
You would be amazed what you can do through SSH. How is the weather info displayed though?

lovinglinux
June 30th, 2009, 02:46 AM
You win your bet...that did indeed solve the problem....

;)

but now I cannot see my Weather PC...so I guess SSH is the way to go to solve that.

What is a Weather PC?

Hmmm...I need to see the Weather Station graphs etc from my own PC...so does that rule out SSH?

Can you explain what are those graphs? I think ssh with X forwarding should do the trick, because it allows you for example to run Firefox on the remote machine, using the profile of the remote user, but display it on your screen.

QIII
June 30th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Try turning Vino off.

Despite what top is telling you, Vino can be a CPU hog.

EDIT: Doh! Should have read the rest of the thread. Never mind. That seems to have fixed the immediate problem.

dunbrokin
June 30th, 2009, 11:09 AM
;)

What is a Weather PC?

Can you explain what are those graphs? I think ssh with X forwarding should do the trick, because it allows you for example to run Firefox on the remote machine, using the profile of the remote user, but display it on your screen.

My Weather PC is an old lap top connected to my weather station...it sends the data every couple of minutes to Weather Underground. As the Weather PC is remote from my normal PC I like to check it occasionally. It runs a program called Weather Display which gives a dashboard display of the various instrument. Using VNC, I can easily log in can see what is going on.

dunbrokin
June 30th, 2009, 12:43 PM

l]

But it is only being used within the confines of the LAN. Surely that is as secure as any PC on the LAN.

Pinball Wizard
July 1st, 2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, plus can't you have a secure remote desktop connection?

lovinglinux
July 1st, 2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, plus can't you have a secure remote desktop connection?

Yes, you can tunnel the Remote Desktop connection through ssh ;)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH/OpenSSH/Advanced?action=show&redirect=AdvancedOpenSSH