PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pls how i secure a cd to be readonly

nnamdi
June 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hello everyone hope you are good pls my friend made a recording and wants to put it on a disk but does not want anyone copy it out of the disk is there any appliction on ubuntu that can do that would glad to get a quick responses thank u in advance.

camper365
June 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM
a CD is always read-only, but as far as I know, you can't make it so that no one can make a copy of the data on the CD, with or without Ubuntu.

TheBuzzSaw
June 28th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Just don't use a CDRW

nnamdi
June 28th, 2009, 07:55 PM
So u mean there are no security in encrypting an infomation on a cdrom? Cos it is a lil high priority.

Spiritous
June 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
There is
CD-R
CD-RW
Normally it will say on the disk which it is,
CD-RW Means you can Read and Copy and do whatever you want to it.
CD-R Means you can ONLY write to it, not rip or anything.

LewRockwell
June 28th, 2009, 08:25 PM
There is
CD-R
CD-RW
Normally it will say on the disk which it is,
CD-RW Means you can Read and Copy and do whatever you want to it.
CD-R Means you can ONLY write to it, not rip or anything.

Lets clarify:

CD-/+R =compact disk readable(meaning they can be written to ONCE)

CD-/+RW =compact disk readable AND rewritable(self-explanatory)

DVD-/+R =digital video disk readable(can be written to ONCE)

DVD-/+RW =digital video disk readable AND rewritable

so, you can write to an "R" disk ONCE and then no more and you can write and over-write or add more to an "RW" disk

your question seems to be asking if there is a way to put something on a CD where no one can duplicate/copy it

sure, you can encrypt it so the data is unreadable unless you have the encryption key

of course, anyone you give the key to can easily duplicate/copy the decrypted information/data and then either encrypt it again or just distribute it unencrypted

the short answer is no

nnamdi
June 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
So does it mean that cd-r does it cos if it possible y dont producer of music use it to fight piracy anyway seems it is not a possible task on cdrom rite?

LewRockwell
June 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM
So does it mean that cd-r does it cos if it possible y dont producer of music use it to fight piracy anyway seems it is not a possible task on cdrom rite?

if you don't want your music or pictures or ideas or inventions to be copied then don't show them to anyone

if you do then learn to offer them at a price low enough that it's not worth the effort for someone to make their own copies

I want the whole world to learn and sing my song so like the birds of the air, I sing it freely!

and now I am famous!

gj_clt
June 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Seems to me that you are talking about some form of DRM as used by some commercial companies. As we all know that is usually easy to bypass so the simple answer has already been given. You can't - unless you encrypt the data so that only those to whom you give the key can use it.

nnamdi
June 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hehehhehehheeh 'lewrockwell' i can the opensource spirit in man anyways i just doing dis for a client who want to do some stuff ok. But i really love security some day would a unix n linux security.

Martje_001
June 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
You may want to try TrueCrypt to encrypt your files. You can open it on any computer with TrueCrypt on it (after entering your pass-share of course).

H2SO_four
June 28th, 2009, 08:44 PM
think of it this way...

With a little effort you can find a copy of Windows, any game, and all music. So basically DRM doesn't work, you may want to look into another solution.

Best of luck.

nnamdi
June 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Well i give up cos it is a lil kind of urgent anyway would do more research on it but let this job slip off my hands thank u my fellow opensource soldiers. Take care one luv

коммунистическ
June 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I found this (http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/jhalderm/make-your-own-copy-protected-cd-passive-protection) article last year. It can still be bypassed with the magic marker trick, but it's still a way to make it very hard for normal people to read the disc. From what I read, this might infringe some patents, so don't use this to make a profit or in the process of making a profit.

nnamdi
June 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hey thanks but would like to get more details on this not for personal use but for research purpose u can trust me when i say that okay thanks for enlighten me waiting patiently for responses.

mikechant
June 30th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Hey thanks but would like to get more details on this not for personal use but for research purpose

The full details of how to make these 'protected' CDs are given step by step in the linked article. But as the article explains, it's pretty pointless seeing as some Windows ripping programs and all Linux/Mac ripping programs can bypass this 'copy protection'.

If you're going to try this, I wouldn't worry about patents. This seems like a set of simple instructions for using software written by others which implements standard CD writing techniques and I can't see how it could be patentable.