PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I get sound?

goog64
June 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I installed Ubuntu 9.04 five days ago. I have no sound. I also have no sound when I boot from the Live CD. For two days I have done all the usual suggestions in the various posts I have read, with no success.
This was the most promising link:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
but I soon ran into trouble when the author said his driver was 1.0.18, when his screen said it was 1.0.18rc3. This of course snowballed into many questions and different possible paths (all of which I followed), and 4 hours later I am no better off. I would like to stick with Ubuntu, but this is getting ridiculous, I miss my children, and they need a father.
I am using a Compaq Presario B3800.
DEVICE MANAGER says that my audio controller is Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B Sound Card.
One of the posts mentioned adjusting audio devices in the BIOS. How do I do that, pleeaaase?? When I press F10 during startup I get a BIOS page, but there are definitely no options for anything like this.
Thanks
John

gn2
June 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Something to try is add the line:

options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo
to the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

goog64
June 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Thank you. I typed in the line you suggested, but then when I tried to save the file I got:
"You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again."
What do I do, please?

gn2
June 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM
To get the permissions to save it, open the file by pressing Alt+F2 then:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/*alsa-base.conf
gksudo = sudo for graphic applications
sudo = super-user do
gedit = Gnome default text editor application

DPJ93
June 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Edit the file via the Terminal.

Open up Terminal, then enter

gksudo gedit [insert file directory here]

EDIT: gn2, ey, you posted that while I was writing this one :P

goog64
June 28th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks guys. I've done it, but unfortunately no sounds at all.

DPJ93
June 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys. I've done it, but unfortunately no sounds at all.

Did you restart your computer?

Martje_001
June 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM
sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
Should also work, in stead of shutting down the system.

goog64
June 29th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Hi,
yes I restarted, I switched users, I rebooted in a different kernel, I checked that the contents of the file had been saved correctly. Still no sound. I think it's back to Vista for me. Sorry, I can't take it anymore!

goog64
June 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM
This is what finally worked: (I am so happy!)

In 8.04, double click on the volume control, click on Edit/Preferences, then check External amplifier to be visible. The switches tab then appears. Uncheck External amplifier in that tab.

But I also now have the world's largest alsa-base.conf file, so that may be important too!

danny_galaga
June 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM
DOH! just realised i had a similar problem on mine!