PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer wont boot

gsrbanshee
June 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Hi,

I'm pretty new to ubuntu, but have used the search function here to overcome just about all of my obstacles, and have been having a pretty pleasant experience with it so far.

Until today, when I tried to turn my computer on, and it went stupid.

The monitor light was on (standby light), but didn't go blue, which it does when it recieves signal from the PC, and the PC just let out a 2-3 second beeping noise around about every 10 seconds, continuisly, and that was all it would do. The lights on the front of the PC are on indicating that there's power, and I can see that the fans are running inside, although nothing else is happening.

I checked that all the connections where good from the monitor to PC, PC to power. I then unplugged the power and turned the computer on, and left it for a bit, in an attempt to reset it.

I'm currently posting this off my housemates computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

gsrbanshee
June 28th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I forgot to include, that I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 if that makes a difference.

swisstone198
June 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Sounds like you have an issue with motherboard. Check your PC/motherboard manufacturer's website for description on what the beeps mean.

wojox
June 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hey banshee I had a similar problem years ago with my Dell. found out the beeps some sort of code. My was bad memory. Do like swisstone said and check PC manufacture for what the beep codes mean.

mhgsys
June 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Most of the time this happens with a bad videocard or bad ram.

Beep (long) - beep,beep,beep.(short).. mostly means the video
Beep (long)Beep (long)! Properly is your Ram/

Try another video card. and if thats not it replace your ram.. Take it out, stick it back in again, or try another module.