PDA

View Full Version : Breathing through a straw.

dragos240
June 27th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I can't remember what grade it was, but we were learning about how smokable tobacco products would make you feel if you were running. They gave us straws and told us to run while breathing through them, only for 30 seconds. We all felt a significant change in energy throughout ourselves. Tonight I was bored so while drinking a Gatorade half pint (or whatever those small ones are called), I finished and started breathing through one. I've been doing this for about 30 minutes now and it's kind of interesting. I would have thought that I would be very dizzy by now or just plain give up, but I actually am functioning like a normally would, ignoring the fact that I'm still breathing through a straw. I can't wait to get a nice breath of fresh air. Phew!

chucky chuckaluck
June 27th, 2009, 03:05 AM
a supposed apache trick for developing endurance involved running with a mouth full of water.

philcamlin
June 27th, 2009, 03:07 AM
lol thats cool :P

i dont smoke though i hate the smell :D

dragos240
June 27th, 2009, 03:35 AM
lol thats cool :P

i dont smoke though i hate the smell :D

I don't and I never will.

starcraft.man
June 27th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Difference being I assume you were sitting and not exercising for the 30 minutes.

The straw restricts the amount of air you can take in. That replicates a smoker's damaged pair of lungs and lack of ability to remove the O2 from the air for use in the body. When you exercise you require a lot more air then when you are sitting still, thus the effects are rapid and sudden. You can't replenish the air fast enough to your body and thus feel weak, even dizzy. Sitting is a pretty low energy/O2 task.

Moral: Don't smoke.

Note: Not a doctor.

RPG Master
June 27th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Difference being I assume you were sitting and not exercising for the 30 minutes.

The straw restricts the amount of air you can take in. That replicates a smoker's damaged pair of lungs and lack of ability to remove the O2 from the air for use in the body. When you exercise you require a lot more air then when you are sitting still, thus the effects are rapid and sudden. You can't replenish the air fast enough to your body and thus feel weak, even dizzy. Sitting is a pretty low energy/O2 task.

Note: Not a doctor.
I find it Ironic that your avatar is smoking a cigar :P

Kingsley
June 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM
We did the same "trick" when I was in elementary school, but it was supposed to teach us what it feels like for kids to have asthma. I had asthma back then and knew for sure that the method was totally inaccurate. I don't think it accurately describes the feeling of smoking either. Then again, I never smoke heavily. I only do it socially.

krow436
June 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I used to be a runner, and while not a pack-a-day type of guy, I am a fairly regular smoker. Perhaps the breathing through a straw trick was more meant to simulate that, but it doesn't exactly describe the smoking experience well, though it is a valiant and educated attempt. +1 teachers!
At the expense of being a hypocrite, don't smoke. Don't do it cuz you're friends want you to, don't do it cuz it looks cool, just don't do it. You'll be a richer and healthier man or woman for it.
Also, drink tea. It's good, good for you, and it is known to cause a sense of sophistication in some people. I have two teas every morning ^_^

DeadSuperHero
June 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I smoke like a chimney and jog all the time, and feel MORE energetic. So I have no idea why you all seem to have a problem with it.

dragos240
June 27th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I smoke like a chimney and jog all the time, and feel MORE energetic. So I have no idea why you all seem to have a problem with it.

Wierd!

starcraft.man
June 27th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I find it Ironic that your avatar is smoking a cigar :P

In a space suit no less :P

Makes zero sense, but it's starcraft and he looks like he wiped out a whole brood with his bare hands!

Pogeymanz
June 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Well, I believe the point is to simulate damaged lungs. Clearly if your lungs are still relatively healthy, they take the oxygen in just fine. Maybe the nicotine being a stimulant combined with the added oxygen from running is giving you that extra energy.

Eventually it will probably catch up with you. I hope it doesn't though.

blueshiftoverwatch
June 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
And if you do smoke, switching from smokable tobacco to nasal snuff is probably a much safer method to get your nicotine.

dragos240
June 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
And if you do smoke, switching from smokable tobacco to nasal snuff is probably a much safer method to get your nicotine.

hahaha

collinp
June 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Makes zero sense, but it's starcraft and he looks like he wiped out a whole brood with his bare hands!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1079/830897176_dad55f068d_o.jpg

Anyways, we also did a "simulation" of asthma in.. I think science class one day. I had and still have asthma, and it came pretty close to simulating the experience, but its not the same as actually having it. Then again, it was only a simulation :P.

Partially on the same topic, in health class we got to play with these "drunk goggles" that supposedly make you see and walk like you would if you was drunk. I dont know how I would *really* see and walk if I was drunk, though.