PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wine-compatible Windows games on Ubuntu?

DMBoricua
June 26th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hello, I just want to know people who were able to run a Windows game on Wine completely successfully, and list it to see.

So far I have gotten these games to work without a problem: Starcraft, Painkiller, Quake 2, and I think thats it.

I got other games like: World of Warcraft, Ragnarok Online, Fallout 3, Morrowind, Oblivion, GRID, Farcry 2, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, Crysis, Doom 3, Quake, but sadly were not successful at trying to run on Wine. Some wont open up, while others would give me a graphics error and such.

Not that I'm whining, I would live to use Wine just for Starcraft, believe me, that is one fantastic game I cannot live without and can play forever and never get bored (anyone else agree? :D I cannot wait for Starcraft 2 WOOHOO!!) but I just want to know compatible games for Wine, and how you guys got to run them. (Note: I have gotten No-CD Patches for my games such as Fallout 3, Oblivion, Farcry 2 and others from google so that I wont need to be switching CD's all the time :P and NO I donot pirate my games :) I dont believe in such thing)

VizArce
June 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Now if only ragnarok online can work.

clonne4crw
June 26th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I have a friend who got Spore working in it. He says its just as playable as it is in Windows.

DMBoricua
June 26th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I'm sure Ragnarok Online can work using a virtualizer to virtualize a Windows XP machine and run it from there, since the game does not have much graphics the virtual machine will be able to handle its graphics with its offered graphics additions like Sun Virtualbox does but yeah it wont work on Wine since it needs to use additional connections to connect to Ragnarok on the server you would like to play on and pretty sure Wine does not do such complex operations since it just basically runs windows applications. Nothing else.

I have however been able to run World of Warcraft on Wine before, as far as getting in the login screen, select my character, until I get to the loading screen connecting to the server. Thats when the game just freezes.

imagxz
June 30th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Have you tried this guide for ragnarok?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=240319

Tell us if you have any luck

binbash
June 30th, 2009, 09:50 AM
You should check out winehq.org's platinium or gold list