PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Looking for a media player

Jimmey
June 26th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Basically I am looking for a complete media player like Windows media player - Preferably for Gnome.

I'd really like one that can download the information about the songs I'm ripping from some CDs I've just bought (Artist, Album, song name etc) and also, one that's able to download the cover art and apply it to the file aswell - I have a Cowon S9 player with barely any album art in there!

Thanks

ajgreeny
June 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I have no idea about your cowon player, but rhythmbox and vlc will download the album art, and, I think, song lyrics if you wish. How you get them to your cowon, I have no clue.

Jimmey
June 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM
But when I rip songs with Rhythmbox I just get 01-Track1.oga .. 02-Track2.oga...Etc.

Do you know if I can get the song information so I can get the titles/artists of the songs automatically?

jimv
June 26th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Open Rhythmbox and go to Edit > Preferences and click on the Music tab. Set the Filename to whatever convention you like, and the set the Preferred Format to CD Quality, MP3.

It should automatically grab the album name and art.

AFarris01
August 2nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
I know it's a little late, but I use a combination of 2 programs for ripping and managing my music.
<rant>
I used to use Amarok, but then they switched to the new version which resulted in deleting all my saved song info (lyrics, custom album info, playlists, etc), removed all my plugins, and basically destroyed every aspect of the UI that actually made me enjoy using it.
</rant>
Anyway... I*personally use sound juicer to rip all my music (easy to configure how/where you want it ripped, and automatically downloads album info from musicbrainz), and my media player is gmusicbrowser. I know you were wanting an all-in-one solution, but this combo really works for me, and I just thought i'd share :)