PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Smoth Upgrade but why do I still "load" Intrepid

Andavane
June 26th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I was hugely impressed with the smooth upgrade path moving fro Intrepid to Jaunty, and thanks to all who do the work on this.

My only question is that at the grub stage I expected to see the 9.10, but I still selected 8.10, and it loaded as Jaunty.

I can explain that my main Ubuntu is Hardy, which I keep as it can be a bit fiddly installing the printer which I need for my work (which isn't computers), and there is another hard drive in the CD bay on which I have several Ubuntu's installed.

Regards

John

Typo; smoth = smooth

t0p
June 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I was hugely impressed with the smooth upgrade path moving fro Intrepid to Jaunty, and thanks to all who do the work on this.

My only question is that at the grub stage I expected to see the 9.10, but I still selected 8.10, and it loaded as Jaunty.

I guess you need to edit the grub menu by hand. Odd, I would have expected the upgrade to do it for you...

Cheesemill
June 26th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Try doing a:

sudo update-grub
This may fix it.

Andavane
June 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Try doing a:

sudo update-grub
This may fix it.
Negative.
Grub is updated but still in the boot menu I only get the options to boot from 8.10, not 9.04, although the program ends up as Jaunty.

Incidentally I am getting the same result with the appropriate upgrade for my EeePC.

I am beginning to feel that this is what you get if you upgrade, as it's happened on two separate machines.

Regards

John

Faither
June 27th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hi there!

If you want adjust your Grub you'll have to edit your grub's
menu.lst file.

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

or

kdesudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
(if you are using kde)

Scroll to the end of the file and edit the lines starting with
title to whatever you want to see next time you boot your system.

title Kubuntu 9.04
uuid UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx
kernel /vmlinuz root=UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx ro quiet splash
initrd /initrd.img
quiet

Save the file and reboot to view your results ^^

Cheers Stefan