PDA

View Full Version : Why does KDE even bother anymore?

Teranaka666
June 26th, 2009, 12:27 AM
They still haven't fixed most of the issues. I think this screenshot can currently sum up KDE more than any words can...

hanzomon4
June 26th, 2009, 12:29 AM
how did you get flash working in konqueror? is that a 64bit install

SunnyRabbiera
June 26th, 2009, 12:31 AM

I am not sure but on my end at least flash works fine in konqueror in KDE 4.32 beta 2

Tipped OuT
June 26th, 2009, 12:33 AM
They still haven't fixed most of the issues. I think this screenshot can currently sum up KDE more than any words can...

That's not KDE's fault, it's the crappy flash plug-in and/or your graphic card driver's fault.

Teranaka666
June 26th, 2009, 12:36 AM

32Bit, ands it's enabled through Settings => Configure Konqueror => Plugins => "Plugins" Tab => Scan for Plugins.

But you really shouldn't waste your time.

ad_267
June 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I don't think Konqueror is under much development at the moment, I think Arora will replace it as the default browser in the near future.

SunnyRabbiera
June 26th, 2009, 12:39 AM
That's not KDE's fault, it's the crappy flash plug-in and/or your graphic card driver's fault.

actually for me the flash plugin works smoothly in Konqueror, better then in Firefox sometimes.
But different hardware and configurations make a lot of difference.
I am not using Ubuntu right now so thats why I might be not having issues.

Teranaka666
June 26th, 2009, 12:45 AM

I don't think so. It does the same thing on 3 different PCs, all with nVidia hardware running the 185 driver.

reyfer
June 26th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Konqueror with Flash works really good for me, smooth. But hey, if ONE program does not work well on YOUR hardware, then it is the whole Desktop Environment that sucks, right?

Teranaka666
June 26th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Konqueror with Flash works really good for me, smooth. But hey, if ONE program does not work well on YOUR hardware, then it is the whole Desktop Environment that sucks, right?

Well no, one issue doesn't. But regular SIGEV errors and plasmoid crashes kind of does.

SunnyRabbiera
June 26th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I don't think so. It does the same thing on 3 different PCs, all with nVidia hardware running the 185 driver.

KDE4 currently has issues with nvidia cards, from what I heard the two dont get along.

ibutho
June 26th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Personally I think KDE on Ubuntu or (Kubuntu) is just not as good as say KDE on openSUSE and Mandriva. I have ran into so many problems using Kubuntu, than using KDE on openSUSE, Mandriva and Fedora.

SunnyRabbiera
June 26th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Personally I think KDE on Ubuntu or (Kubuntu) is just not as good as say KDE on openSUSE and Mandriva. I have ran into so many problems using Kubuntu, than using KDE on openSUSE, Mandriva and Fedora.

For me I see little difference in using KDE4 in Kubuntu, OpenSuse and madriva, all work pretty well for me.

hanzomon4
June 26th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Could try hulu.com? I could get flash to work with youtube but not Hulu.com, this goes for Opera and Konqueror. Firefox on the same install worked fine, Fedora 11 64bit by the way.

bodhi.zazen
June 26th, 2009, 01:02 AM
yawn ...

Moved to recurring discussions.

Nothing to see here , this is an ago old debate.

benerivo
June 26th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I've had the same problems with kde on kubuntu, arch, opensuse, and fedora so i don't think it's a distro problem. KDE is defintely getting better with every release and it is just going to take time. I persaonally think konqueror is too slow compared to FF and Opera.

(RIP MJJ)

Skripka
June 26th, 2009, 01:06 AM
KDE4 currently has issues with nvidia cards, from what I heard the two dont get along.

Actually it is the 185 Nvidia Driver that doesn't play well with older kernels. Using KDE4.2.4, Nvidia 185.**, and kernel 2.6.30-5...and everything works like a charm.

PS-Use Konqueror under Webkit, not KHTML....KHTML is most of Konqueror's problem. Use Webkit, and it is as fast as Midori or Arora

SunnyRabbiera
June 26th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Actually it is the 185 Nvidia Driver that doesn't play well with older kernels. Using KDE4.2.4, Nvidia 185.**, and kernel 2.6.30-5...and everything works like a charm.

PS-Use Konqueror under Webkit, not KHTML....KHTML is most of Konqueror's problem. Use Webkit, and it is as fast as Midori or Arora

I just heard that nvidia had issues with KDE didnt know the specifics though so thanks.

Bachstelze
June 26th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Blatant troll, nothing to see here indeed.

Closed.