PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [9.04] Motherboard replaced - Ubuntu 'Repair' option?

Shasmo
June 24th, 2009, 01:42 AM
My motherboard died last week, and so I am getting a new one, with new CPU and RAM, since my old stuff was a fair few years out of date.
I'm going from an AMD dual core to an Intel Quad Core and I was wondering if there is a repair option for Ubuntu to re-configure the kernel or whatever else needs to be reconfigured. I know with Windows you can run a 'Windows Repair' that in essence isntall the OS files and drivers again, but is there something like this for Ubuntu?

(Apologies if this is the incorrect forum)

spcwingo
June 24th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I don't think it's necessary, but what I would recommend is to boot into recovery console and drop to a root shell. Then regenerate an init image:

dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-$(uname -r)

followed by a reconfigure of the xserver:

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Then reboot with:

reboot

I did this very thing when I upgraded the mother-in-law's laptop. I just popped the HDD out of the old laptop, ran the above commands, and we were off to the races.

Shasmo
June 25th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Thank you very much. Worked like a charm!

It must have reconfigured an old kernel image, or there have been a few updates in the meantime, cause apt-get is pulling back some new ones.

Thanks again! :D

Shasmo
June 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM
In the last day, I've had programs close without warning, nothing entered in the system log, or showing up strange, but programs just will close. When I started typing this message earlier, Firefox closed down, with all my tabs, without a word of an error.
When this happens, it also won't start up any new programs; I have to restart the computer and then it's fine until it starts happening again.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Could it be related to the kernel reconfigure?