PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem compiling Xe: "cannot find -lasound"

Doval
June 24th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I'm trying to install Xe (http://www.xe-emulator.com/), a multi system emulator, on Ubuntu 8.10 (32 bit.) I've unpacked the tar file into its own directory and navigated to that directory on the command line. However, when I use the "make" command, I get this error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lasound
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [xe] Error 1

I did a bit of googling around, and read that -lasound refers to the asound library. I searched for "libasound" on Synaptic, and it shows that I already have the libasound2 package (ALSA Library) installed. Is there some other package I'm missing? Is this error caused by something else entirely?

Thanks in advance.

Doval
June 24th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Bump

Doval
June 24th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hope you don't mind, but my thread's fallen from page 1 to 5 overnight and still no answer, so...

Bumpity bump.

decoherence
June 24th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Hope you don't mind, but my thread's fallen from page 1 to 5 overnight and still no answer, so...

Bumpity bump.

No worries!

For compiling things, you need the development headers. Install the package libasound2-dev and try it again. Repeat for any other dependencies it complains about.

Doval
June 25th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks a lot! That got me past that problem. However, now when I try to use "make install", it spits out this error:
[: 37: ==: unexpected operator
Must be logged on as root.It spits that out every time, regardless of whether I sudo the "make install" command, and even if I log in as root via "sudo su". The terminal shows root@Blackbird, and the $ changed to #, and the "whoami" command returns root, yet it still throws that error...any ideas?

EDIT: Disregard I found the solution in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=631680 Changing the "#!/bin/sh" to "#/bin/bash" didn't work, but running the installer with "bash ./install.sh" did work.

Once again, thanks for the help.