PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu... Along side vista maybe

Fxy
June 23rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Hi

About 2 yrs ago i got a sony vaio laptop that came with windows vista, but as i did i wiped it & installed ubuntu 8.04 :)... Just recently i got an ipod touch & was unable to get it working under ubuntu so i had to install windows vista to get the use of it...

What i would like to know is, can i install ubuntu alongside windows vista & have ubuntu as my main os. Or is there an easy way i can get my ipod touch working & running in ubuntu :? :confused:...

To tell the truth i really miss having ubuntu installed on my laptop & would really like to have it installed again, but at the moment i need the use of vista for my ipod touch :(... You help will be much apprichated :o:o:o

dstew
June 23rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Here (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm) is a decent tutorial on dual-boot installation of Ubuntu, if Vista is there first. As far as getting your ipod to work on Ubuntu, I think you will have problems with that. Just use dual boot, and use Vista for your ipod. Hardware makers often ignore Linux systems, as a business decision, so there are probably no drivers for the ipod that work properly with Linux. There is, interestingly, a project for putting a Linux operating system on your ipod (http://www.ipodlinux.org/wiki/Main_Page), and maybe then you could get it to work with the Linux OS on the desktop.

Fxy
June 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Thnx dstew for the reply... When i had ubuntu installed on my laptop before i had my ipod classic working fine & i was able to add songs videos & the usual etc etc, but with an ipod touch there aint the same support... I done a bit of reasearch before posting & to be honest i didn't really find anything usefull to do with getting ipod touches working inside ubuntu... At the moment i am going to install ubuntu along side vista & have ubuntu set as my main os...

Im thinking of giving ubuntu a large partion & then vista just above the very minimum, as all i will be running on it is itunes, dreamweaver & paint.net... Is this a bad idea : ?, should i make both partions equile so that there 50/50, or is my ideal of one large & one small fine : ?...

raymondh
June 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
I can confirm that 'touch 1st GEN (not jailbroken, neither) will work with Ubuntu apps such as gtkpod and banshee (as I use them). 2nd Gen .... that's a different story and some say requires to be jailbroken to work. No experience with 2nd Gen.

As for dual booting ..... since you don't plan to use Vista except for your music .... I'd go with your first option (large and small).

Good luck ..... back up first before any partitioning work. Murphy may come calling.

mprentice84
June 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Download Songbird for Ubuntu, that's what I use for my iPod Nano and it works fine.

Fxy
June 23rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Thnx for the replies guys... Im gona backup my stuff tonight & then start partitioning tomorrow morning & should hopefully have ubuntu running along side vista by the afternoon ;)

Just hope everything goes well so that i dont need to get out my backups :P

Idefix82
June 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Just a small tip: first defragment the Vista partition a couple of times, the resize it from within Vista. Then you are ready to install Ubuntu and should have no problems.

Mark Phelps
June 23rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Strong suggest you heed the advice of Idefix82 regarding using Vista to shrink the OS partition. Using the Ubuntu installer or GParted LiveCD runs the risk of corrupting the Vista OS partition in the process and rendering it unbootable.