PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Minicom and gnome-terminal size

iimess
June 23rd, 2009, 01:42 AM
Previously (8.10 and prior) I could run minicom in a terminal window larger than 80x25. Now (9.04) whenever I start minicom or switch to a tab running minicom, the terminal window shrinks from whatever it was to 80x25, and fights back (bad flickers) whenever I try to change it away from 80x25.

I need a larger size because in the same window, I have other tabs that can benefit from wider size. And it doesn't switch back to the previously set size when I switch away from the minicom tab.

Pure speculation:
Is it a problem with minicom requesting an ideal size, or gnome-terminal trying to be smart to fit the content?

cdub3030
July 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM
I have have this same problem since upgrading to 9.04 and have not been able to find a resolution either.

cdub3030
July 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Although I still have not found a resolution to the minicom issue, I did come across a good replacement named picocom. Picocom runs in the existing terminal window it is initiated from and conforms to whatever size the window is set to.

'aptitude install picocom'

ningke
July 7th, 2009, 12:19 PM
picocom works great. Adjusting width of screen is no problem. Thanks!

michael.barnes
July 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I know this is an old thread, but there was not a real solution to the problem. So, has anyone found a solution yet?

The problem is, when starting minicom in a terminal window, it resizes the window and will not allow you to change it. This is very annoying in some systems I dial into because it wraps the screen. I also ssh into other machines (mostly they are running SUSE) and run minicom to access remote equipment. Even through ssh, it resizes my terminal window.

Changing to picocom is not a viable option for me, as I still have to use minicom on remote machines.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 - the Jaunty Jackalope. I have never had this problem with any other OS.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Michael

iponeverything
July 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Is the behaviour the same with xterm?

Mark20
August 20th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Hi all,

I was having the same issue. This is a known Gnome Terminal bug (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=579759). You can verify this by launching xterm and then running minicom - it'll work no problem.

If you prefer to launch minicom from Gnome terminal here is a hack you can use:

Instead of launching minicom by typing:
minicom type the following instead:
TERM=linux minicom

Cheers,
Mark

klepon
August 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Code:

TERM=linux minicom

Hi Mark,

This trick works for me.

Thank you.

cdub3030
August 25th, 2009, 02:27 PM
'TERM=linux minicom' works for me as well thanks for the tip.

I took this one step farther and added the following to /etc/bash.bashrc to make this a permanent setting in all terminal sessions:

TERM=linuxThis way you can just type 'minicom' again instead of having to set the env variable each time you launch minicom