PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu for 4gig eee pc (700 series).

barbarella
June 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Can anyone recommend a solid ubuntu for loading via flashdrive on my eee pc? I'm spinning my wheels with eeebuntu. No wireless.

Ubuntu provokes fear + inadequacy in me.
I can't help it. Windows users are all on the same page in being helpful to one another (because we're all busted by the same monolithic company). With ubuntu, most users know a little something-something about coding. Then, there's me. I just want it to work. I don't want to get under the hood, not even to simply change the oil. I fail. I am phobic.

Anyhoo, I've got my trusty, already obsolete 4 gig/series 700 Asus EEE PC, and the xandros, while decent, does not recognize, nor run my flip mino camera. I'd prefer to start anew with ubuntu/open source, rather than grinding xp down to size.

running_rabbit07
June 22nd, 2009, 10:54 PM
I am using Ubuntu and it installed with no problems. After the install was complete Ubuntu immediately offered to load the NVIDIA drivers to fix the resolution then restarted the PC so Ubuntu could configure the driver settings itself and the resolution is actually set better now than it was through microsoft. The only other thing is getting all of the add-ons for the net. I found it helpful when I signed into yahoo and was immediately offer 3 choices of media add-ons. Most of them could be found via the add-on finder under the firefox tools menu.

If you only have 4gigs, you may consider Xubuntu being it uses a little less hard drive space and uses less RAM. I have Xubuntu on an old laptop that had 2000 pro and now it runs much faster. After I loaded Edubuntu on it, it slowed down a bit though.

I haven't tried Kubuntu, so I can't tell ya anything about it.

Good Luck and Happy Ubuntu Hunting!

Chemical Imbalance
June 22nd, 2009, 10:58 PM
Jaunty should work out of the box with it. Intrepid or Hardy is a different story...

I use plain old Jaunty on my 4gb SSD 900A.

barbarella
June 23rd, 2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the advice and linkage, running_rabbit07 and Chemical Imbalance!
I'll go with jaunty for good luck. Who can resist that adjective?!

barbarella
June 28th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Sadly, no wifi through jaunty. I am at a loss.

beastrace91
June 28th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Any idea what wifi card is in your 700 series? (which 700 series model do you have?)

~Jeff