PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] jaunty gives kernel panic after updating

quasar277
June 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Hi, I have an asus eee pc 900 and have installed (desktop) jaunty yesterday as wel as doing the updates, which include the kernel.
Now it won't boot up but give me this:

acpi: aborted because no cpio magic
invalid compressed format (err=1)
kernel panic - not syncing: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

I have found a way around it by quoting out the sections in /boot/grub/menu.lst that refer the new 2.6.28.13 kernel but this is hardly solving the problem.

Thanks

wpshooter
June 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
I would use the live CD to see if I could run a check disk on the hard drive / Ubuntu partition(s).

quasar277
June 22nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
I would use the live CD to see if I could run a check disk on the hard drive / Ubuntu partition(s).

I don't think that's the problem but please explain how to check disks - it's been a long while since doing that.
Btw, I can run ubuntu without problems by sticking to the older 2.6.28-11 kernel.

wpshooter
June 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Is this an upgrade of Hardy to Jaunty or is this an installation of Jaunty from scratch ?

Sounds like an upgrade from Hardy !!!

DNAtsol1
June 22nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
I don't think that's the problem but please explain how to check disks - it's been a long while since doing that.
Btw, I can run ubuntu without problems by sticking to the older 2.6.28-11 kernel.
I've experiencec a similar problem. I have jaunty running with kernal 2.6.28-11 on my pavilion dv5 laptop and it was/is running fine on that kernal. When I was notified of the partial upgrade to kernal 2.6.28-13 I installed it and rebooted (as asked). Now I do not get as far as the log in screen. I get to GRUB and start the boot process but end up looking at a blank screen. I've simply rebooted back into 2.6.28-11 but it hardly seems like a solution. Any ideas?

quasar277
June 22nd, 2009, 03:11 PM
DNAtsol1: it sounds exactly the same as I have. I guess we'll have to wait for the next kernel to come out.

wpshooter: it is a fresh jaunty instalation which got the normal kernel update. Should we report this bug somewhere?

.celleken
June 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
I'm having the same problem with that 2.6.28-13 update.

For the moment I'm booting the 2.6.28-11 kernel.

Note: This is (was) a fresh Jaunty installation.

wpshooter
June 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
DNAtsol1: it sounds exactly the same as I have. I guess we'll have to wait for the next kernel to come out.

wpshooter: it is a fresh jaunty instalation which got the normal kernel update. Should we report this bug somewhere?

Yes, I think I would report a bug.

I was running kernel -11 and am now on kernel -13 and everything is as fine as a frogs hair !!!

Mongre
June 23rd, 2009, 03:49 AM
Similar issue here, new -13 kernel won't get to login screen but old -11 kernel still works fine. Also Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't get me to a "terminal" session either but I can see a slight flicker on the screen so it's at least trying to switch/display. In my case the -13 kernel option ends up locked on an almost blank screen but there are two little spots of green pixels on a single row almost at the top of the screen, each is only about 5 pixels wide so it's barely noticeable. Reminds me a lot of problems I saw when fiddling with graphics configuration on this machine and since that took me (a relative noob) about a week to get correct I'm not about to screw with it again. I'll just run -11 until someone finds a fix that doesn't require reconfiguring video or another update comes out.

Makes me wonder though if it has something to do with the ATI graphics driver. I'm running a Radeon HD 4870 card with the non-proprietary fglrx driver @ 1920x1200. Installed Jaunty from scratch. Anything in common with the rest of you by chance?

quasar277
June 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Mongre: the -13 kernel might have more than one type of problem, I don't know. My graphics card is one of those integrated Intel thingies with shared memory.

Bug reported at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/390984

triv
June 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
I have had the exact problem as people here, I nearly got around it, but not quite.

At first I was getting the same panic message people posted here. Then I started reading about people with data corruption issues on kernel -11. So for the heck of it, I booted into my kernel left over from my 8.10 installation. Then from there I tried re-installing all the kernel packages.

After rebooting this time, the kernel booted much further and then the system locked up when attempting to start X (and there were also some modules that didn't rebuild properly like VirtualBox).

running_rabbit07
June 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Is there any relevance to types of CPU? Such as everyone that's having this problem has Intel or AMD?

triv
June 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
I am running the following:

CPU: Intel Q6600 Core2Quad
Motherboard Chipset: Nvidia Nforce 6 series.

running_rabbit07
June 24th, 2009, 12:04 AM
It can't be the chipset because I am using NVIDIA and I haven't had the kernel problem. And I also have an AMD CPU. It does appear there are quite a few people having this problem though.

abel.alterio
June 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hi,
yes, I suppose there is such a problem. I have a radeon HD3400 that was working fine until yesterday. Now I have reinstalled Jaunty: the first time I installed the ATI proprietary driver before upgrading to -13: after upgrading I could no longer log in (black screen, no ctrl+alt+F1). I reinstalled and upgraded to -13 WITHOUT reinstalling the ati driver and it works ...

ArGGu^^
June 26th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Hello I got the same kernel panic.

acpi: aborted because no cpio magic
invalid compressed format (err=1)
kernel panic - not syncing: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

only if my first partition is not the root partition.

My first partition was ntfs where I have windows. so I reinstalled ubuntu and windows and now my first partition is ubuntu root partition and the last partition is the ntfs where windows is installed.
And after that the kernel -13 boots normaly.

running_rabbit07
June 27th, 2009, 12:45 AM
After looking at the latest post I wander if having root permissions has anything to do with it. I have my account set up as part of the root group and having full root permissions singularly. Just a guess.

.celleken
June 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+
Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3
ATI 3870 (ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics drivers disabled)

Same problem, -13 won't reach the login screen.

quasar277
July 11th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I've tried again the -13 kernel as part of an effort to improve performance on my intel 915 graphics card (other stuff was installed/upgraded too)
and now it works!

Perhaps there was some quirkiness at instalation time.
I'm advising people with the same problem to just try it again, it might work.

By the way, it's on a eee pc-900 (intel cpu)

rajeeja
July 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
btw, can someone throw light on "WHY two kernals?"

Hogosha
July 17th, 2009, 01:59 AM
i am running into the same issue. as long as i boot with the -11 kernel i am fine but i get "invalid compressed format (err=2)" with -13. I am running a laptop with an AMD Turion 64 x2