PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installation on Via C3 Laptop!

xtremo
June 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
Jaunty failed on it.....just returning me to a command prompt.

So I did a search here and found some old threads with a similar issue on this chipset. Opinion seemed to be to try Xubuntu and select the "Vesa" option on install.

However, these seemed to be pre-Jaunty, so can anybody confirm this is the best way around it......or any other options I should consider?

Cheers guys! :)

tgalati4
June 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Chrome graphics can be a problem. I know dapper works. Try slitaz. C3 is slow. Think lightweight.

xtremo
June 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
Cheers mate.....I'd prefer to stick with one of the 'buntus if possible.....and I'm looking for a full install.

You reckon Dapper Drake will do the job?

tgalati4
June 22nd, 2009, 05:50 AM
I got it to work on a mini ATX chassis with openchrome driver. Slow for desktop use. I put damn small linux on it and ran Dapper Drake binaries (taken from another desktop machine). And it worked! Fast too. DSL is 2.4.26 kernel with 2.6.15 binaries on top! Not bad for a 5-watt computer.

Even Xubuntu is slow. I would try older version of Linux Mint XFCE (Darnya) first.

xtremo
June 23rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Many thanks! :)

xtremo
July 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Just as an update to this.....I've got two distros to run on it...both Slackware based: Zenwalk and Vector.

Out of the two I'd give Zenwalk the edge as it seems to be a bit quicker, though Vector does look better and seems to be set out more intuitively.

Still prefer to have Xubuntu on it though.....so is there any way of getting Xubuntu Jaunty on it that doesn't involve a lot of grief?