PDA

View Full Version : Output the time taken to run a shell script/command

staticanime
June 21st, 2009, 12:46 PM
Hey all, I've been compiling a custom kernel, and have had to re-compile a few times, and I was wondering if there was a way to count how long it takes to compile and output it either via a shell script or similar? Using Ubuntu 9.04 and bash if that helps

MadCow108
June 21st, 2009, 01:02 PM
put a "time" in front of the command

kaibob
June 21st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hey all, I've been compiling a custom kernel, and have had to re-compile a few times, and I was wondering if there was a way to count how long it takes to compile and output it either via a shell script or similar? Using Ubuntu 9.04 and bash if that helps

I have never compiled a custom kernel. However, the following thread contains two options that will "output the time taken to run a shell script/command".

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1187569

monkeyking
June 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM
I frequently use the 'time' command from the commandline,
but I've had some troubles using it in my bash script.

It seems like its using the bash buildin function 'time',
and I've never managed to track down information on these bashbuildins.

I think I ended up using /usr/bin/time, it seems to be doing the same, just not the same format.

stroyan
June 21st, 2009, 04:33 PM
If you are interested in reducing the time to compile you should look at the streamline_config.pl script. It suggested changes to the config file to eliminate unused modules to reduce the build time.
See http://lwn.net/Articles/330876/ for more.

If you have access to more than one machine running the same release you can use the distcc package to enlist help from those other systems. That can reduce build time quite a lot. Here is an example of what I use. This has distcc to improve performance. It uses the script command to keep a detailed log of output.

script -c 'MAKEFLAGS="CC=distcc" DISTCC_HOSTS="localhost host2" CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=8 fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd binary-arch' make-kpkg.typescript

staticanime
June 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM
If you are interested in reducing the time to compile you should look at the streamline_config.pl script. It suggested changes to the config file to eliminate unused modules to reduce the build time.
See http://lwn.net/Articles/330876/ for more.

If you have access to more than one machine running the same release you can use the distcc package to enlist help from those other systems. That can reduce build time quite a lot. Here is an example of what I use. This has distcc to improve performance. It uses the script command to keep a detailed log of output.

script -c 'MAKEFLAGS="CC=distcc" DISTCC_HOSTS="localhost host2" CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=8 fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd binary-arch' make-kpkg.typescript

I've already stripped down my kernel to the bare minimum lol, just wanted to time how long it takes, time seems to do the job, as I only need a rough time. Thanks to everyone for your help :)