PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] May I ask for some explanation?

Wiebelhaus
June 20th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Ubuntu One works very nicely and is very quick and unique in it's own right. But I can't find any philosophy about it's intended usage. Something you want to share , must you always provide an email for it? In contrast with Dropbox you can just provide a public link , which makes for easy and quick sharing on forums and such.

Also if someone shares with me , that file will show up in the "Shared with me" folder I assume , this is an interesting concept but a little cumbersome at first or maybe just not what I'm accustomed to.

Otherwise the service is much like Dropbox correct? Please don't get me wrong I'm not complaining or criticizing , I will probably pay for and use the service but I'm just trying to get a grip on the concept and the intended use for this service.

Thanks.

juancarlospaco
June 20th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Its a SAFE and SECURE sharing system.

I can't share documents with my remote business partner with DropBox with a public link,
and a public link where?,
by Chat?, its not safe, its not encrypted,
by email, its safe but have no sense having UbuntuOne automation.

If my remote business partner modify the first page,
on a 1.000 page document,
he have to re-Upload a 1.000 page document,
re-sendme another public link,
and download another 1.000 page copy,
UbuntuOne only Upload modified data,
to my local folder when he clicks " Save ".

Wiebelhaus
June 20th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Its a SAFE and SECURE sharing system.

I can't share documents with my remote business partner with DropBox with a public link,
and a public link where?,
by Chat?, its not safe, its not encrypted,
by email, its safe but have no sense having UbuntuOne automation.

If my remote business partner modify the first page,
on a 1.000 page document,
he have to re-Upload a 1.000 page document,
re-sendme another public link,
and download another 1.000 page copy,
UbuntuOne only Upload modified data,
to my local folder when he clicks " Save ".

That last bit is a very good point , so for project management and collaboration this fills in the security and privacy holes of Dropbox.

Nice.

juancarlospaco
June 20th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I work at local University, here much people knows how to use things like Wireshark or Driftnet,
so non-encrypted traffic can be sniffed, documents containing server passwords, user password, etc.
So much people saying " UbuntuOne is crap, DropBox is better ",
but don't works when security is needed.

Wiebelhaus
June 20th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I work at local University, here much people knows how to use things like Wireshark or Driftnet,
so non-encrypted traffic can be sniffed, documents containing server passwords, user password, etc.
So much people saying " UbuntuOne is crap, DropBox is better ",
but don't works when security is needed.

Yea , your right. Thanks mate!