PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will a USB headset work fine with UbuntU?

brayden13
June 18th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Well I was checking out some headsets as I'm getting a new PC soon. Of course I'm going to put my most favourite OS of all time, ubuntu.

The headset is here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2217094&csid=_28
Will it work fine with Ubuntu? I don't mind if microphone doesn't work but at least sound. I'm worried as it's USB and not using an audio jack.

mynameinc
June 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM
It *should* work, but I'm not certain.

markbuntu
June 18th, 2009, 08:49 PM
That is not a USB headset and to get it to work you will need to have a digital output from a sound card.

brayden13
June 19th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I thought I read it being one. Ah well. I was looking at about half a dozen and got mixed up sorry. Still good to know if i change my mind and get a USB one if it would work or not.

albinootje
June 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I don't mind if microphone doesn't work but at least sound. I'm worried as it's USB and not using an audio jack.

My Logitech usb headset works fine (except that the volume-control on it doesn't work).
I'm using "pavucontrol" to "quickly" switch from my onboard soundcard to the headset for some programs because I don't use the headset all the time.

jrusso2
June 19th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Usually if they work on macs they will work on Linux, as they don't come with drivers disc. The ones that have drivers discs are for Windows

markbuntu
June 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I have not heard of any usb compliant headsets that do not work. I have a plantronics myself.