PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] tar,gz files

davellew69
June 17th, 2009, 10:47 PM
after 3 months of trying ,I just dont get it, how do I install the buggers

Bigtime_Scrub
June 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM
It depends.

Is there something specific you are trying to install via tarball or just in general so that you know? I find using tarballs more trouble then they are worth. It is all about hunting down dependencies. If you do not have the prerequisites for a program it will not install.

LewRockwell
June 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM
http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Software/Compiling_Software.html

ddrichardson
June 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM
tar.gz are compressed archives, it depends on what they contain. Generally the first step is
tar xvfz tarball.tar.gzwhere tarball.tar.gz is the filename. This will expand a folder in which you will find a readme telling you what to do next.

This will either be a binary, which is executed by typing its name with a dotslash:
./filenameor a source file.

To build source you need to install the basics:
sudo apt-get install build-essentialThen run the configure script. This will tell you if you are missing anything needed to build, then@
make; sudo make installBe aware that this is not the preferred installation method as it does not provide automatic updates.

davellew69
June 17th, 2009, 10:56 PM
thanks all, I`m off to bed so i`ll try in the morning hope i get these licked soon,

aysiu
June 18th, 2009, 12:12 AM
After four years of using Linux full-time, I have yet to find a need to install "the suckers."

What program do you think you need an .tar.gz for?

LewRockwell
June 18th, 2009, 12:16 AM
After four years of using Linux full-time, I have yet to find a need to install "the suckers."

What program do you think you need an .tar.gz for?

I was just working under the assumption that they wanted to learn how and successfully do it, regardless of the choices and preferences of others.

perhaps I was mistaken.

aysiu
June 18th, 2009, 12:27 AM
If I see a post in Absolute Beginner that asks about .tar.gz files, I work under the assumption that the OP is not aware of the convenience of package management. (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware)

If people are just curious, the original post usually looks more like "So I know how to use the package manager to install stuff, but I just want to learn other ways of doing things, so can someone teach me how to compile form source?"

davellew69
June 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
still confused, i`m trying to install 70324 dashboard tar.bz2

davellew69
June 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I take it you deal with tar.gz and bz2 files in the same way

ddrichardson
June 18th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I take it you deal with tar.gz and bz2 files in the same way
Yes but the command is slightly different (its a different compression)
tar xvfj tarball.tar.bz2

ddrichardson
June 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM
still confused, i`m trying to install 70324 dashboard tar.bz2
Ah wait - the number at the beginning - is this a theme file from gnome-look.org?

goldblattster
June 18th, 2009, 10:56 PM
If it is a theme file, then open the appearance setting window, drag the tar.gz into the theme selection part of the window and boom, your theme is installed. If it's not a them, then let us know. ;)

davellew69
June 18th, 2009, 11:05 PM
ok Ive dragged it into the screenlet menu, but the bugger wont launch

goldblattster
June 18th, 2009, 11:08 PM
What's bugger? Is that the name of the theme?
Is it a theme at all?
If not, is it a source tarball?

davellew69
June 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
it`s the dashboard widget in the screenlets folder

goldblattster
June 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Oh, sorry, I can't help with that. I thought it was a different tar.gz for a different use. I'm very sorry. :(

davellew69
June 18th, 2009, 11:16 PM
no worries mate, I`ll get there, thats how you learn

kndfs3001
June 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM
It depends. Sometimes the .tar.gz files are simply packages containing the application, and sometimes they are theme packages, but sometimes they contain the source code, which you'll have to compile yourself. It is kind of a pain, but you'll get used to it. Here are instructions:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo

ZackM
June 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I started off on FreeBSD command line shells using tar.bz files. I haven't had to use any with personal use on Ubuntu, but it's good to learn just as a precautionary. Good ole IRCds came in handy after all. Lol

cubeist
June 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM
For the OP, if you are using nautilus, right-click on the tar or gz and select extract here...

skyjacker
June 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
after 3 months of trying ,I just dont get it, how do I install the buggers Make that 2 of us... I gave up last month after trying dozens of procedures, internet sites, etc. I only use files I find in synaptic.

Amilo1718
June 18th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Make that 2 of us... I gave up last month after trying dozens of procedures, internet sites, etc. I only use files I find in synaptic.

is compiling the difficulty?
or just accessing the tar.gz?

aysiu
June 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Can you link to the download file so we can see what it is (program, theme, screenlet)?

articwolf2012
June 24th, 2009, 06:30 PM
after 3 months of trying ,I just dont get it, how do I install the buggers

I still don't get it either man! I understand DEB and how to AUTORUN a damn program but a Tar.gz or ANY TAR is complicated as hell man! I am worse than u! You are going for 3 months when I have 5!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confuse d::confused::confused::confused::confused: Please reply back if u find anything new man....

decoherence
June 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
People who are having difficulty 'getting' tar.gz files.... they're equivalent to .zip files. You really have no idea what's in them before you 'unzip' them.

Generally the place you got the tar.gz file from will have instructions on what to do with them. Sometimes the instructions are contained within the .tar.gz, often with names like README or INSTALL.

As was previously mentioned, to unzip them you right click the file and select "Extract Here" or use the 'tar -xzvf filename.tar.gz' command in the terminal.

Some programs can read directly in to the tar.gz file, much like how some Windows programs can see what's inside a .zip without you unzipping it. Themes are one example of when .tar.gz files don't have to be 'unzipped' but there is no hard and fast rule for this.

So the simple answer for "what do I do with a .tar.gz?" is "you decompress it." Then follow whatever instructions accompany it, assuming instructions are needed (you could also tar.gz your holiday photos... no instruction needed there! It's JUST like .zip)