PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [PLEASE RESPOND!]Restoring iPod Touch in Virtualbox?

xavierp94
June 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I have seen various tutorials on ipod touch claiming they allow you to sink your ipod to your pc. I've tried them and they work. I want to upgrade to a newer firmware on my ipod touch but every time it restoring I get a 1611. Apparently from the following tutorial I read that its not possible to restore. I've see people talk that they restore their ipod all the time and they have virtualbox installed. Is it possible? My ipod is useless now and still in revovery mode which I can't get out of so I'll have to install windows again just to install the dumb firmware. Any solutions?

The tutorial I used:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone

jbrown96
June 17th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Sorry to break it to you, but there's no way to update an iphone/itouch in virtualbox. when the device reboots, virtualbox can't identify it to know to pass it through to windows. And each time it reboots, it identifies itself differently. You will need to use a computer running itunes natively to fix it.

It's a huge PITA; I tried it on my iphone, and that was fun.

xavierp94
June 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Sorry to break it to you, but there's no way to update an iphone/itouch in virtualbox. when the device reboots, virtualbox can't identify it to know to pass it through to windows. And each time it reboots, it identifies itself differently. You will need to use a computer running itunes natively to fix it.

It's a huge PITA; I tried it on my iphone, and that was fun.
Ohh, huge bummer because I was already used to running Ubuntu. I don't want to leave Ubuntu and I also do want to dualboot. :/