PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can't figure out how to re-install grub

jbrown96
June 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have Kubuntu installed and decided to give the Windows 7 RC a try, so I installed it, knowing full well that I would need to replace grub. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to use grub-install. Could someone give me the command that I should use?

Partition map:

/dev/sda1 Windows (some kind of /boot I think, 100MB)
/dev/sda2 Windows 20GB
/dev/sda3 Logical
/dev/sda5 Kubuntu (This is the partition that I need grub to be able to boot from)
/dev/sda6 empty
/dev/sda7 (Mandriva /boot, not important)
/dev/sda8 (Mandriva /, not important)
/dev/sda4 encrypted partition

I know how to add entries for the other OSes in /boot/grub/menu.lst; I just need to figure out how to install it.

Thanks

pastalavista
June 17th, 2009, 08:33 PM
searching is easier than asking. I've searched this one many times

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24113

:)good luck..

Technoviking
June 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM
It is easy to fix this, and all you need is an Ubuntu install CD or LiveCD. Once the Ubuntu Live session finishes booting you should see a Ubuntu basic desktop. Open a terminal window Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal and type the following in the terminal window:

sudo grub
This will open grub command line interface. At the grub prompt, enter the following commands.

find /boot/grub/stage1
This will tell you what hard drive and partition grub is on. For this example we will use (hd0,0), which means first partition on the first hard drive. That is a very common setup. Now we want to repair the grub
bootloader.
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
exit
The root command point to the proper area of the harddrive and the setup command install grub to the MBR (Master Boot Record). Close down your Ubuntu LiveCD session, remove the CD, and reboot your computer normally. Your Ubuntu boot menu should be back.

T-V

LewRockwell
June 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/