PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Automatic mount of external drives

zebsdad
June 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I have 4 external drives always attached to my computer. None of these drives automatically mount when I boot into ubunto 9.04.

If I unplug one of the drives(all USB), two of the flash drives are mounted. The other flash drive and the USB (4 logical partitions) hard drive do not.

The flash drives are all fat32 and the partitions on the hard drive are NTFS.

I have one internal HDD(NTFS, Win XPSP3) that does automatically mount at boot time.

I have a screen shot of the errors I get on the drives that do not mount. (attached)

I have been reading for several days and still have not figured this out. The problem seems to be that even though it says absolute beginner talk, answers very quickly get into advanced use of tools that are certainly not self explanatory.

Please remember I have been into Linux for less than 2 weeks. Mercy to the helpless. I do have a lot of experience with windows but it doesn't seem to help much here.

Can some one help me get this done so I can go on to the next learning phase of ubunto?

Bodsda
June 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I have 4 external drives always attached to my computer. None of these drives automatically mount when I boot into ubunto 9.04.

If I unplug one of the drives(all USB), two of the flash drives are mounted. The other flash drive and the USB (4 logical partitions) hard drive do not.

The flash drives are all fat32 and the partitions on the hard drive are NTFS.

I have one internal HDD(NTFS, Win XPSP3) that does automatically mount at boot time.

I have a screen shot of the errors I get on the drives that do not mount. (attached)

I have been reading for several days and still have not figured this out. The problem seems to be that even though it says absolute beginner talk, answers very quickly get into advanced use of tools that are certainly not self explanatory.

Please remember I have been into Linux for less than 2 weeks. Mercy to the helpless. I do have a lot of experience with windows but it doesn't seem to help much here.

Can some one help me get this done so I can go on to the next learning phase of ubunto?

Hi, on the screenshot there is a 'Details >' button that contains extra information, could you please expand it and tell us what it says, print screen or copy paste, doesn't matter.

Regards,

Bodsda

PureLoneWolf
June 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
One thing I always recommend to new users is to run a terminal and perform sudo apt-get install pysdm

This will give you a Storage Device Manager icon inside the Administration menu.

The gui is very straightforward to use and will write to your fstab for permanent mounting.

Hope that helps

billgoldberg
June 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM
One thing I always recommend to new users is to run a terminal and perform sudo apt-get install pysdm

This will give you a Storage Device Manager icon inside the Administration menu.

The gui is very straightforward to use and will write to your fstab for permanent mounting.

Hope that helps

Didn't know about that, I always edit fstab manually.

Well, those days are over.

scrooge_74
June 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
This is a good day, I learned something new

zebsdad
June 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Hi, on the screenshot there is a 'Details >' button that contains extra information, could you please expand it and tell us what it says, print screen or copy paste, doesn't matter.

Regards,

Bodsda

The only errors are written in the two lines of the attachment. Like libhal.c:1399, etc..

zebsdad
June 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Hope that helps

I installed the Storage Device Manager and it seems to be work for mounting right now but it does not automount at startup.

If i unplug and replug my flash drive called "Money" I get an error that says "you are not privileged to mount Money".