PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to make a passport card photo

MeTylerDurden
June 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know what application to use to crop and add white background to a photo. I have a good photo but do not know how to add the white background I actually don't need to crop as I can cut the photo out with scissors to finish size of 2"x2"

ajgreeny
June 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Beware doing this! If the US is anything like the UK, when it comes to passport photos the passport agency is insufferably fussy, and rejects photos that look great but are not technically "up to par" I think this has to do with the detail required for the digital bio-data now needed for the photo. They certainly reject any printed on a simple ink-jet printer, as far as I can make out.

unutbu
June 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
GIMP has a crop tool (Tools>Transform Tools>Crop).
Then you can add a border by clicking (Filters>Decor>Add Border)

If you do decide to send in a digital passport photo, you may want to read this: http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/quality/quality_879.html.

Please let us know how it goes.

MeTylerDurden
June 18th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Photos turned out much better on the 3rd try, and we sent them in with the application even though there was some protest by the postal attendant. We took the photos with a sony cybershot 6megapixel camera and positioned the camera about 4ft. from the head sitting about 2ft. in front of a large white paper background taped to the wall. The best thing was using a clear plastic measuring ruler which was 2" wide, I put the tool over where the picture goes in the application and marked the head sizes and also made center line so I could position center right down middle of head. Put the 4x6 print (2) on a block of wood and then positioned the ruler over the area to cut out and used my razor sharp utility knife to cut out. Making about 3 light passes to make sure I cut through, then turned the ruler around and made the last pass. May seem like a waste of time when you can get it done for ten bucks, but it was a challenge and I was fixated on doing this and really could appreciate what I learned. I am still angry at the fact that I used to travel across to visit family for free, but hopefully this will make us all safer (if they just keep the fees down). I just want to know how so many illegal aliens get across.. I am stupified