PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with auth.log message

Kenzo
June 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I'm geting the following messages in /var/log/auth.log when a session is opened by an ftp client accessing proftpd server.

Jun 17 21:52:48 server-desktop proftpd: pam_unix(proftpd:session): session opened for user video1 by (uid=0)
Jun 17 21:52:48 server-desktop proftpd: pam_ck_connector(proftpd:session): cannot determine display-device
Jun 17 21:52:48 server-desktop proftpd: pam_unix(proftpd:session): session closed for user video1

Could someone shed some light on why the session is failing please?

Michael.Godawski
June 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM
hi,

libpam-ck-connector
ConsoleKit is a system daemon for tracking what users are logged
into the system and how they interact with the computer (e.g.
which keyboard and mouse they use).

This package provides a PAM module which can be used for console logins.
Graphical login managers should talk to ConsoleKit directly.

This is from Synaptics.

So perhaps it has something to do with different users and their rights?
But I am just guessing...

What strikes me as odd is that the display-device cannot be determined.

Kenzo
June 18th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks Michael. I'm almost certain its not user rights. I can log in and upload files from a different FTP client using the same user (video1).
The FTP client with the problem is a DVR. It is trying to send image files to the FTP server. Logs in okay but then gets kicked out. The display-device part has me confused too.

Any other suggestions most welcome.

Kenzo
June 18th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I've been thinking a bit more and maybe the error is occurring because the DVR doesn't have a display device like a 'normal' FTP client. In fact there is no display device for the interaction between the DVR and the server.

So... how to get around the PAM and/or method (which I assume is GetDisplayDevice) that ConsoleKit is using for the user??

reverseturn
April 11th, 2012, 04:35 AM
An old thread but I just had the same problem on 11.10 using ftp from a blackberry tablet. It would connect and just hang. Installed vsftpd instead of ftpd and ftp works fine.

CharlesA
April 11th, 2012, 04:36 AM
An old thread but I just had the same problem on 11.10 using ftp from a blackberry tablet. It would connect and just hang. Installed vsftpd instead of ftpd and ftp works fine.
Please create a new thread instead of necroing an old one.

Thanks.