PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard drive error.

icyest
June 17th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hi, I'm having some problems installing windows 7 on my machine which currently runs Ubuntu 9.04.

Details:
-When I try to boot from CD, it says that hard drives are not recognized as NTSF (I don't know what that means).
-Did linux do something to my hard drive that I don't know about?
-My goal here is to replace Ubuntu 9.04 completely with windows 7.

DGortze380
June 17th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Hi, I'm having some problems installing windows 7 on my machine which currently runs Ubuntu 9.04.

Details:
-When I try to boot from CD, it says that hard drives are not recognized as NTSF (I don't know what that means).
-Did linux do something to my hard drive that I don't know about?
-My goal here is to replace Ubuntu 9.04 completely with windows 7.

Linux formatted your hard drive to ext3
Windows uses NTFS
Put in your Ubuntu Live CD, open GParted, delete all partitons, create one new NTFS or FAT32 partition.

Reboot with your Windows 7 Install Disc and it should recognize the drive and reformat to NTFS.

wpshooter
June 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Or just use www.killdisk.com to WIPE your hard drive completely clean and then your Windows 7 CD should work.

icyest
June 17th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Dude, thats a windows program. It wont work on linux.

PukingPenguin
June 17th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Or just use www.killdisk.com to WIPE your hard drive completely clean and then your Windows 7 CD should work.

LOL! I wouldn't trust any Windows app to do anything secure.

Use DBAN (http://www.dban.org/).

wpshooter
June 17th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Dude, thats a windows program. It wont work on linux.

That's really funny, since I have been using it for the last 4 or 5 years to WIPE hard drives clean !!!

I sure must have missed something !!! Or maybe it's that you have missed something !!!

zeroseven0183
June 17th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I think Killdisk has a DOS-only version (http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm).

That's bad to know that he's switching his machine to Windows 7? Anyway, +1 for DGortze380's suggestion.

icyest
June 17th, 2009, 02:03 AM
That's really funny, since I have been using it for the last 4 or 5 years to WIPE hard drives clean !!!

I sure must have missed something !!! Or maybe it's that you have missed something !!!

Lol, fail...

zeroseven0183 is right. You missed something!!!

wpshooter
June 17th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Lol, fail...

zeroseven0183 is right. You missed something!!!

I did not miss anything, it can be used on either a bootable diskette or a CD rom to WIPE the drive when the bootable media is in the drive.

I don't remember saying a thing about running it in Linux or was it someone else that said that ???

icyest
June 17th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Instructions were very very unclear. You mentioned nothing about bootable. The website is also very unclear.

wpshooter
June 17th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Instructions were very very unclear. You mentioned nothing about bootable. The website is also very unclear.

Website say "download bootable ISO image to burn to CD"

I don't know how much clearer you could want it !!!