PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help with dual boot/loading windows xp in grub. error 13.

jarongg
June 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM
so i have been using this tutorial (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm) to set up a dual boot of linux and windows xp on my msi wind. i just got the grub reinstalled and edited the menu.lst file to have windows xp be an option. now the problem i am having is i am getting an "error 13: invalid or unsupported executable format" when i try to boot into windows.

i used this command

title Windows XP
root (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

to make windows xp available, but perhaps something is missing from that. does anybody have any ideas of how i could fix this?

jarongg
June 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM
after googling around a bit i am seeing that other people have a map code for their grub that wasn't a part of the tutorial i was using. but i don't know if linux is on hd0 or hd1 or what.

jarongg
June 16th, 2009, 10:37 PM
bump.

unutbu
June 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Please run boot_info_script (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6725571&postcount=3) and post the RESULTS.txt file here.

Don1500
June 16th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Try to set the widows loader like this.

title Windows XP
root (hd0,0) <<<<<<<<<<<< Here is the change
makeactive
chainloader +1

Ususally if you have windows installed on the same hard drive as Ubuntu, windows is in hd0,0, and hd0,1 is a partition formatted for linux (ext3). So when you look in hd0,1 for windows it is looking for a DOS file system and you would get error 13

jarongg
June 16th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Please run boot_info_script (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6725571&postcount=3) and post the RESULTS.txt file here.

here it is.

jarongg
June 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM

title Windows XP
makeactive
chainloader +1

Ususally if you have windows installed on the same hard drive as Ubuntu, windows is in hd0,0, and hd0,1 is a partition formatted for linux (ext3). So when you look in hd0,1 for windows it is looking for a DOS file system and you would get error 13

does the fact that i had linux installed first change anything? also, if i were to make the changes, is there any chance it will change how it boots into linux so if it doesn't work, i won't be able to get into linux?

jarongg
June 16th, 2009, 11:05 PM

title Windows XP
makeactive
chainloader +1

actually i just went for it and changed it and it works perfectly. both os' boot up. thanks so much for your help. :D

Don1500
June 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM
actually i just went for it and changed it and it works perfectly. both os' boot up. thanks so much for your help. :D

I was just typing that you should try it since it would not interfere with your linux boot.