View Full Version : [ubuntu] firefox doesn't support usajob.gov resume builder

June 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Using Ubuntu 8.1 as updated June 15, 09 on a desktop 32 bit download, I tried to use Firefox to create my resume on usajobs.gov website June 15 by typing in the boxes. There is a box "select" with a check that should be a pulldown list, but it is not a pull down list. This is the 3 boxes after the "email address" box on the "Myusajobs" function resume builder (I was signed in). I tried signing on and signing on again, rebooting, trying again a different day. no pulldown list, and an error flagged against this box everytime I tried to save the page or go to the next page. The error was "an entry must be made in this field." I complained to the government, and their employee sent me my own personal copy of the FAQ on filling out a resume. I tried again today, no luck with ubuntu. I walked a mile to the state unemployment office today,waited 90 minutes, used their official government authorized Internet Explorer on a Microsoft brand operating system, and everything worked fine. A dozen other forums and websites I have used since I converted to unbuntu have worked fine. Unfortunately, usajobs.gov is the only way to apply for some government jobs: can somebody investigate and fix this? The government obviously doesn't care, they didn't even read my question properly. The help person told me to save my resume-their software wouldn't allow it.

June 17th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Do you mean the 3 drop down menus for selecting a type of phone number (Day, Evening, Mobile, etc.)?

I just took a look at this, and for me they do show up as pulldown lists. I'm using Firefox 3.0.11 on Kubuntu 9.04, but it really ought to work for you as well. As far as I can see there's nothing special about that form. It sounds like there's some kind of strange problem with your Firefox. You could try installing another web browser (from the "Add/Remove Programs" menu or from Synaptic). Epiphany, Seamonkey, and Galeon are three other browsers you could test out.

You could also try removing Firefox, and then installing it again and see if the error persists.

good luck! (with the web form, and the job search, both ... )