PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu dual boot with other distro's

JoePublic9
June 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Greetings,
I have been using Ubuntu for about 8 months now and have long since removed windows from my machine. However, I noticed that Ubuntu uses very little space. I thought I would take that space and try some other distro's.
Now, I know that some will suggest Virtualbox but I would rather try a real install. Anyway, I have two questions that I can think of before I start.
First, my hd. I have Ubuntu on an extended partition. There are 4 logical partitions on that. They are /boot , / , /home , swap. I intend to make 2 more primary partitions on the remaining 30 gig and make them / and /home for the new distro.
Can I use the logical swap partition on my extended partition for the new OS? Same question for the /boot partition, and do I want to use the /boot partition?
I am rather sure I can install on my unused space just not sure if I can use the swap and if I want to use the /boot partition. Grub still gives me a scare so that is really my only worry.
Thanks in advance,
Joe

shifty_powers
June 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM
really would not recommend using the same boot partition, as the two distros may use different kernels, which would cause issues.

i think you would be able to use the swap mind...

LewRockwell
June 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM
use separate partitions for each distro

if you have problems with grub you can burn one of these:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

also, while you're at it, burn on of these to play around with:

http://partedmagic.com/download.html

Miljet
June 16th, 2009, 10:07 PM
When you install the new system it should find, and use, an existing swap partition, no matter where on the drive it is located.

Whenever I install a different distro, I look for an option under an advanced tab to NOT install a boot manager. It is far easier to edit your existing menu.lst file to add the new install.

JoePublic9
June 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks all.
I will let it use the swap file I have and I will not install grub.
I will have to learn to edit grub to add a distro. Should be fun.
Thanks again.
Joe