PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] EXTRA_CFLAGS error running "make install"

InvisibleMan
June 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I may have posted this originally in the wrong category. My apologies for the duplication.
---------------------------------

While running "make install" on an Intel driver download, the following error occurred:

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-server/build SUBDIRS=/home/operator/drivers/e100-3.5.17/src modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-server'
scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in "/home/operator/drivers/e100-3.5.17/src/Makefile". Fix it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS. Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/operatorr/drivers/e100-3.5.17/src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-server'
make: *** [default] Error 2

I've googled a bit and searched the forums, but nothing matches this exactly, and the solutions for the partial matches (EXTRA_CFLAGS vs CFLAGS_EXTRA) don't work. Any ideas, anyone?

ptn107
June 16th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I'm guessing it's a bug of some type. The first thing I would try is to do as it asks, i.e. replace every instance of 'CFLAGS' with 'EXTRA_CFLAGS' in the file '/home/operator/drivers/e100-3.5.17/src/Makefile'.

EDIT:
I found this solution. Try running this instead of make install...

KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make install

InvisibleMan
June 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Unfortunately, neither worked.

"KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make install" and "KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make"
both produced the same error as before.

Replacing CFLAGS with EXTRA_CFLAGS everywhere in Makefile produced the same errors as the unedited Makefile: unknown fields, implicit declaration of a function, INIT_WORK undeclared, etc.

Running "KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make install" on the edited Makefile showed no difference, same errors.

InvisibleMan
June 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Have I stumped everyone in this forum? I find that hard to believe.