PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstall to 32 bit version

JimmieC
June 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hello,
I just installed the Ubuntu 9.1, AMD64 version and I notice lots of little issues. Such as: Evolution will not load, cannot get sound to work, download and install packages but they do not show on menu. I'm happy with the speed but I don't care for the other issues. Is it possible that some programs are incompatible with the AMD64 bit version or do you think most of the problems are related to the Karmic release of Ubuntu?

Do you think I would have a more stable experience if I would reinstall a 9.04 32bit version?

I hate to ask this but if I unstall do I delete all my partitions and make new ones, or can I just delete the root, or do I need to delete any partition? I have three partitions, /root, /usr, and /home.

I have a dual boot system, two hard drives, XP on 1st drive, Ubuntu on 2nd drive, I boot with Grub from MBR. If I reinstall will my Grub be affected? Never been through this before, very new, so thanks for any advice.

Jim

JimmieC
June 17th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Well, I didn't get any responses but I un-istalled Ver 9.1 64bit and installed Ver 9.04 64bit. First, using my Windows install disk, I fixed my MBR and made sure I could boot into XP. I then booted with a LiveCD, deleted the existing Linux partitions, and then made new partitions and installed 9.04. My CD player works, Evolution works, but 9.04 is not quite as fast as 9.1. Also, the installer for 9.1 is better, especially when partitioning.

Jim

howefield
June 17th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Do you think I would have a more stable experience if I would reinstall a 9.04 32bit version?

You would need to be crazy or unaware to expect a stable experience from an Alpha 2 build. If you want stable, then yes you would be far better off with 9.04 (I'd say both 32/64 are stable). YMMV.

JimmieC
June 18th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Yes, actually two of my more noble qualities.

Cheers,

Jim