PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] cannot display video and hard crashes.

moominboy8668
June 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM
hi there guys. sorry if this is short and sweet but it'll be the 3rd time i've written it so im getting a bit annoyed!

basically, i'm running kubuntu 9.04 and every so often seemingly at random, the screen goes black and says "cannot display video mode"

i've tried to see if the res or refresh would help but no luck,

also along with this problem, the whole system randomly freezes completely except for the pointer which moves really slowly.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated folks, and as im a beginner at Linux, would you be able to give the bash scripts for any info that is required please?

thanks in advance guys.

dave.:D

billgoldberg
June 16th, 2009, 02:55 PM
hi there guys. sorry if this is short and sweet but it'll be the 3rd time i've written it so im getting a bit annoyed!

basically, i'm running kubuntu 9.04 and every so often seemingly at random, the screen goes black and says "cannot display video mode"

i've tried to see if the res or refresh would help but no luck,

also along with this problem, the whole system randomly freezes completely except for the pointer which moves really slowly.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated folks, and as im a beginner at Linux, would you be able to give the bash scripts for any info that is required please?

thanks in advance guys.

dave.:D

Are you using the open source drivers for you graphics card or the closed ones?

moominboy8668
June 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
yeah haven't added any new drivers at all. there are none in the hardware drivers section anyway.

this is the 2nd full install of kubuntu as i had problems with the grub of the 1st, but the 1st had no problems at all with video.

it also connected straight to my 42" samsung which this install will not.

samsung says "mode not supported" :(

moominboy8668
June 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM
any ideas guys?:p

LewRockwell
June 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM
did your ram survive the memtest?

moominboy8668
June 17th, 2009, 08:36 PM
sorry, how do you mean?