PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] beginners questions

jmfal
June 16th, 2009, 07:20 AM
first, i would like to say hello to everybody in the ubuntu community,.! I`ve been using jaunty for about 6wks,its different than M$...I like the hands-on approach, I wish i did this 25yrs ago. Been having sound problems since the beginning (i think everybody has).In the process of fixing my sound i installed ubuntustudio-audio,did not help.. medibuntu-didnot help.,tried to install ubuntustudio-desktop that uninstalled ubuntu-desktop in the process, had error-gnome system tools 2.22.2obuntu4_i386 corrupted file system tarfile-corrupted package archive... when i check in synaptic it shows ubuntu-desktop not installed,and ubuntustudio-desktop not installed ,is this going to end up with some instability..[i`ve fixed my sound,whent to walmart bought $25 sb audigy se] My desktop now is a wall of hexigons--ubuntustudio---just about every app i open shuts-down at sometime,its done that before i started to switch everything around,.should i start from scratch, or should i fix-it?? Jaunty 9.04 from shipit live-cd

QIII
June 16th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Oooof!

One of the questions everyone likes to ask is "What, exactly, were you doing when you encountered this behavior?" I think you'd probably have a hard time retracing your steps.

You can do one of two things.

1. Save everything you want to keep and start over. (Not a happy approach.)

2. Try to fix one problem at a time with the help of people here.

Not everyone knows everything about any particular subject, but there are enough people who know enough about one or two items that you can get help that way.

So, maybe re-frame this as one question for now -- the most burning question. We can hope that other things that have happened won't get in the way.

And don't let anyone fool you. We all started out by wrecking our systems once or twice. That's how you learn.

Welcome aboard! You're going to have a ball! OK, well sometimes it isn't such a good time. Just remember to always back up what you really want to keep before you launch into something.

Happy Ubuntuing!

lisati
June 16th, 2009, 07:34 AM
The wall of hexagons is normal for Ubuntu Studio's desktop.....assuming Ubuntu Studio is what you intended to install. If it's the "regular" ubuntu desktop you're after you can try from the terminal:

sudo aptitude reinstall ubuntu-desktop

jmfal
June 16th, 2009, 08:05 AM
re; lisati
I would like to go completly ubuntu-studio ,ive tried to download from ubuntu-studio--3days what kinda$#@@##@# is that,i can start over with live cd ,i dont have anything to back-up,i`ve got my sound problems solved,so i can set that up again if i have to. my downloads are slow, thats the only thing holding me back,if i get security updates, it takes 5hrs to download,I`m not sure if its my connection or ubuntu..i`m willing to start over but i`m not sure if i should do security-updates first then install studio??

jmfal
June 16th, 2009, 08:58 AM
re:QIII
YES I have started over quite a few times.. and yes i`m lernin`, i think im going to start over, i just not sure of the process to make it stable.??

QIII
June 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM
You can use a speed tester like

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

But that is a "canned" test and does not probably reflect real-world bandwidth.

It could be that the server(s) from which you are downloading is(are) not keeping up with demand.

You might also try a torrent application, for which some servers are optimized.

The fact that your updates are downloading so slowly makes me wonder about your connection. Mine take a matter of seconds, but I pay for high bandwidth (10Mbps). Even at that, I am limited by traffic and switches beyond my control and might only get an effective 500kbps download speed from a server. But even then the downloads take only a matter of 2 or 3 minutes.

Are you on dial-up, DSL or cable?

If you are on DSL, do you have splitters?

If you are on cable, is the coax you use for your internet connection on a dedicated line coming out of your junction box? Do you have cable phone and TV running off the same coax in the junction box? Do your coax cables run close together in parallel anywhere? Can you have your cable company remotely diagnose your modem?

In any case, do you have a switch or a router in a home network?

Do you use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) from a Windows machine? (That is a crappy bit of work there. If you are doing it that way, you are truly doomed. Thank you Redmond!)