PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live cd ram question

guitar player
June 16th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I'm not quite sure where to post this, but anyways my question is I have a computer with very little ram and wondering if the ram usage would be the same as the when i install it as it was on the live cd.Thank you for your time.

H2SO_four
June 16th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Not sure.. Currently I use about 280 MB ram just to run the os. I'm sure it may vary depending on what apps run on startup.

jperez
June 16th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Are you talking about Memory because many people confuse memory for hard drive space.

If you mean memory, then yes, it will be the same. It doesn't change from the Live CD to the install unless you mean the requirements to run it. The LiveCD needs at least 256MB of RAM to run but the actual system can be run off 128MB of RAM.

If you mean hard drive space, then you'll be able to utilize the full hard drive if you only install Ubuntu on it. If you have Windows and wish to dual-boot, then you can't use it all.

Jesse~

SoftwareExplorer
June 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM
It may take a little less to run it off a hard drive because any changes to the filesystem in the liveCD are saved to RAM. On a "real" install those changes don't use the memory, they just get written on the disk.