PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Make sun java as default

bhargava470
June 16th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Hi,

I installed java manully by downloading the file from sun's website in /usr/local/ .
I want to make it the default. i tried to use the update-java-alternatives which doesnt show the sun java (obvious!!!) here's the result

sudo update-java-alternatives --list
java-6-openjdk 1061 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
java-gcj 1042 /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj

I used export JAVA_HOME option as pointed in this link (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-366104.html). But in vain. Can some one tell me what should be done.

Thanks.

sandyd
June 16th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Hi,

I installed java manully by downloading the file from sun's website in /usr/local/ .
I want to make it the default. i tried to use the update-java-alternatives which doesnt show the sun java (obvious!!!) here's the result

sudo update-java-alternatives --list
java-6-openjdk 1061 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
java-gcj 1042 /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj

I used export JAVA_HOME option as pointed in this link (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-366104.html). But in vain. Can some one tell me what should be done.

Thanks.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-source

your covered for everything java. (you do not need sun-java6-source or sun-java6-jdk if you aren't developing apps)

java can also be obtained by installing ubuntu-restricted-extras, but please hide the fact of its existence from everybody as it may be illegal in your country.

bhargava470
June 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-source
your covered for everything java. (you do not need sun-java6-source or sun-java6-jdk if you aren't developing apps)

java can also be obtained by installing ubuntu-restricted-extras, but please hide the fact of its existence from everybody as it may be illegal in your country.

I have already installed java jdk manually (not from the repositories) ... what i need to do it just make this the default (not openjdk, which is the current default) ....

Thanks

ad_267
June 16th, 2009, 05:26 AM
See the section on choosing the default Java here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

Or just run:
sudo update-alternatives --config java

kpkeerthi
June 16th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I have already installed java jdk manually (not from the repositories)
Thanks
If you installed it manually, the update-alternatives command will not help. You need to set the folder where Java is installed to the PATH environment variable in /etc/profile, or ~/.bash_profile or .bashrc.

ad_267
June 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM
If you installed it manually, the update-alternatives command will not help. You need to set the folder where Java is installed to the PATH environment variable in /etc/profile, or ~/.bash_profile or .bashrc.

Whoops, I should really read the original post more carefully. Sorry about that.

bhargava470
June 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Thanks kpkeerthi.