PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] source of webcam's lag?

hogarth
June 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a generic GE webcam (usb), which is very basic and very old. On my laptop (which has windows), the webcam works fine and is only slightly laggy, probably because it's so old. However, on my desktop running on Ubuntu 8.04, the picture is so laggy it's almost like having a camera taking blurry still-shots every couple of seconds. The desktop is an old pentium4 though ...

So my question is, is webcam lag a result of hardware, software, or both? Or is this yet another issue of driver compatability with skype? Previously the image in skype was unbearably dark, but i saw the post that solved it (changing some "gamma" value to "5") and it worked. Now that i can actually see the image, the result is....depressing.

Anyway i'm figuring the answer has something to do with "it's the fault of my desktop's old age and i can't do anything about it", but i dared to hope that there's another possibility.....

SOULRiDER
June 18th, 2009, 03:07 AM
If it works well in Windows but not Linux then its a software issue. Theres maybe other drivers you could try, but i cant really help you out there :(