PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] In search of the ultimate mediaplayer

slogum
June 15th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I have a pretty huge mp3-collection. The collection is ordered in A LOT of different folders, very systematic. I've always used explorer to organize my music under windows.

Then I started to use MediaMonkey. In mediamonkey you have access to your filesystem. You can see the folder three on the left hand side. You can browse the different folders, and just dobbeltclick to play the file. Or you can right click -> enqueue folder. Many more options.

The best part is that you can manipulate the file system. You can rename files, move files, move folders, rename folders and so on. And everything you do is synchronized with the file system.

A couple of weeks ago I converted over to Linux. The last weeks I've been searching desperately for a MediaMonkey-alternative, but I can't seem to find it. I used Amarok. In Amarok I can see the folder threes and browse around. But I cant change filenames or move folder. Close but not close enought :)

I also tested songbird, wich I love. Many nice addons and brilliant in-built browser for watching musicvideos on youtube, listen to radios, and so on. But I cant even see the file names in the playlist. And there's certainly not possibility to see the folder threes and browser around.

Are there any mediaplayers out there for linux that can satisfy me needs? Or are there any plugins for Songbird or Amarok that can to the job?

Anyone else in the same situation than me? :)

Let me know

- slogum

hayden92
June 15th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Hmmmm, what do you think of Rhythmbox? (installed by default)

slogum
June 15th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Hmmmm, what do you think of Rhythmbox? (installed by default)

It's a nice clean player. Not many features and bad plugin-support.

If I on the left hand side could see a folder-three of my file-system, make changes and doubleclick to play files, it would been great :)

caver1
June 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Have you tried Exaile?
caver1

slogum
June 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Have you tried Exaile?
caver1

Thanks for tips! I'm gonna give it a test and respond in a couple of hours :)

slogum
June 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I've tested exaile for a short time. I can see the folder three on the left hand side, wich is nice. But I cant manipulate the file system by editing file/foldernames or move files/folders. It's a pretty basic program. I noticed if I'm playing files that are two hours (I listen to a lot of dj-sets) the "fast-forwar"-bar lags alot when I'm fast forwarding in the 70+ minutes range, wich is annoying. A part from that, a simple and ok program, but not what I needed :)

The program so far that has impressed me the most is by far Songbird. You can download a addon called directory browser where you can see the folder threes. But you cant double-click to play songs or manipulate files/folders. Very clumsy. And I cant even see the real file-names in the playlist-window. But I'm gonna stay with Songbird cause I really enjoyed all the other features the program has to offer.

But I'm still open for suggestions. Please let me know! :)