PDA

View Full Version : x64 Firefox memory leak?

googlegot
June 15th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I was wondering why my computer was running so slow when I brought up gnome system moniter and saw this:

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/53a5pd.png

I just laughed. I know its because I had 3 pages with the x64 flash plugin, but I have never seen a web browser eat that much memory.

Discuss.

Therion
June 15th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Maybe you could crop, or attach, that humongous pic instead of posting it inline?

Viva
June 15th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Never had that problem and I'm running the x64 flash plugin too.

googlegot
June 15th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Never had that problem and I'm running the x64 flash plugin too.

I forgot to mention, the system has been running for 2 weeks straight with 3 pages with flash up.

FuturePilot
June 15th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I don't think it's specific to 64bit, but I have noticed that whenever I go to Facebook Firefox goes nuts.

I forgot to mention, the system has been running for 2 weeks straight with 3 pages with flash up.

Well that could possibly explain it.

Icehuck
June 15th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Hasn't Firefox had a memory leak on Linux and Windows since before 1.0?

googlegot
June 15th, 2009, 04:10 AM
my god man, 1.4 gigs? thats insane, facebook does ok for me, though I generally dont go there, and I also dont really check memory usage when Im just browsing the web.

googlegot
June 15th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Hasn't Firefox had a memory leak on Linux and Windows since before 1.0?

I have never had an issue with firefox before today, but this is totally caused by a beta addon, not firefox itself

OutOfReach
June 15th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Memory leaks using the x64 flash plugin used to happen to me as well, except in Opera.

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Holy crap man, you need to let your computer rest and not burn so much power. If you keep this up, your processor will be dead in a matter of months.

Viva
June 15th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Holy crap man, you need to let your computer rest and not burn so much power. If you keep this up, your processor will be dead in a matter of months.

More likely to happen if you use windows. I rarely shut down my ubuntu system.

ram130
June 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM
its been happening to me alot..mine eats up 1.5gb more time..mainly when im editing myspace pages....is there no solid fix for this?:(

SniperSlap
July 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
I've been encountering the same problem.

Facebook and some other sites cause a massive jump in memory use. I'm getting so tired of FF performance issues. They really need to clamp down on this before it destroys their reputation.

Also experienced the WHAMMY of a 1GB+ firefox process. Is there a bug for this yet?

congogr
July 23rd, 2009, 12:30 AM

Facebook and some other sites cause a massive jump in memory use. I'm getting so tired of FF performance issues. They really need to clamp down on this before it destroys their reputation.

Also experienced the WHAMMY of a 1GB+ firefox process. Is there a bug for this yet?

Totall +1 with this post! I have the same problem. Firefox eats ALL my memory (3.0.11+64bit adobe flash plugin).

It could be flash... but we need to have a solution soon. When I use Facebook, and do lots of clicks at once (i.e. pushing AJAX/Javascript a bit too much) my whole system almost crashes (get a faded grey firefox window for a while, and spikes on hard disk usage).

Anyone???

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 12:40 AM
Have you thought about getting firefox 3.5? Ubuntu's Repo only has 3.0.12 I believe and latests atm is 3.5.1, I have it installed and running right now with facebook loaded and logged in, and nothing out of the unusual with mem consumption
(See: This Thread) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1220379) , for getting it in deb. ^.^)

Tipped OuT
July 23rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
More likely to happen if you use windows. I rarely shut down my ubuntu system.

Well that was ignorant.

ram130
July 23rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
I have Firefox 3.5. So far my memory has been up and down, but no recent spikes by Firefox.Right I have 23 tabs open, memory being used by Firefox is 256MB with 4 flash sites. The only problem I have is the fact once I close I cannot regain the memory that I first boot with; eg: 20% of 1.7GB, after fair usage and close Firefox: 50% of 1.7GB. One other problem I notice is that my memory usage will keep going up and not decrease over time as I close programs and such. Then before I know it Firefox crashes or the system becomes unresponsive. Any Suggestions? :(

mattalexx
February 26th, 2011, 06:00 PM

You don't need to let your computer rest. It's not a horse.

jerenept
February 26th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Midori.....

Make sure you change the User-agernt to Firefox though.

February 26th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Have you thought about getting firefox 3.5? Ubuntu's Repo only has 3.0.12

????
10.10 came with firefox 3.6.8.
And it updated the first time I started it.

CharlesA
February 26th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Old thread is old. Closed.

jerenept
February 26th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Old thread is old. Closed.

hmmm?