PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KDE in Ubuntu - 2 Plasma Workspaces

PureLoneWolf
June 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hi all

I just installed the KDE desktop and am working my way around it. I seem to have hit a problem I can't seem to overcome though.

I seem to have 2 plasma workspaces that are running independently on my dual monitor setup - In that I have duplicated desktop icons on each and my wallpaper doesn't stretch across box desktops as it does with gnome.

I just want to have 1 plasma workspace that stretches across both monitors, I just can't seem to find the option anywhere. Preferably, just a normal desktop without any plasma....

I haven't adjusted anything with my Twinview settings and, if I log out and return to Gnome, it works completely as expected.

Thanks

PureLoneWolf
June 14th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Never mind, reading up on this says that this is by design due to crashes with various resolutions etc.

Score 1 for Gnome if that is the case..I like a lot about KDE, but their "Desktop" setting is not pleasant to use with floaty icons etc and switching to folder view on a dual monitor setup means you have to do it on each screen, meaning duplicated icons from the desktop folder on each - Either that or I have to have a Desktop and Desktop2 folder that it will display separately. Not ideal and not exactly user friendly. Backgrounds won't stretch across, which means cropping a dual monitor background that I love into 2 images etc etc.

A real shame - Gnome it is...now to work out how to remove KDE properly without killing my system...

Ah well

PureLoneWolf
June 15th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Update:

There is a very very very nice side-effect to going through this exercise, and means that I won't bother uninstalling KDE (I just won't login to it).

The side-effect is that the KDE apps that I run on Gnome for various reasons (Amarok 1.4, DigiKam and a couple of others) look great. I mean as designed. The fonts are sharper and the apps look more professional.

Clearly just installing the applications satisfies the basics to get them up and running (kdelibs etc), but have KDE installed sorts out the rest. I am genuinely impressed.

briguy47
June 15th, 2009, 07:59 AM
If you need help with removing KDE, I can create a list of all of the packages and dependencies (without Amarok) from my system so you know exactly what you need to remove. Just let me know! :D

PureLoneWolf
June 15th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks...see my post just above yours :) I think I will keep it...the disk space is not an issue, I have removed the KDE stuff from displaying in my menus and it makes the KDE apps I *do* use, that much better looking

briguy47
June 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM
That's awesome! I might give it a try myself. Yay for curiosity being the mother of all discovery!

PureLoneWolf
June 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Update to the original question. I just read that if I disable kwin and replace it with compiz it will get rid of the plasmoids.

The problem is that what I read didn't actually go on to explain how. Would anyone know how to completely disable kwin and have compiz launch as the session default??

Many thanks