PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ati 4850 choppy video with restricted drivers

danbyrne
June 14th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hi all

First of all, congrats on a VERY nice looking and functional distro, I was origonally using SuSE/Debian and I think I've found my new OS.

I have a radeon HD 4850 and an X-Fi extreme music card (not the best combination to start with, I know :-)) Sound is working fine with the exception of missing 5.1 but video is another story...

I enabled the restricted driver for the video but was getting a choppy display i.e. when moving a window around with Compiz installed or watching a movie. Initially when going fullscreen it would freeze the whole system but that issue is now fixed by adding 'no-xv' to gstreamer properties. I tried downloading the newest binaries from ati.com, and enabling vertical sync but still no luck, videos are unwatchable. Next step is disabling compiz I suppose, although that's a bit of a shame.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I've spent about 2 hours googling and experimenting. Would hate to go back to Windows 7 but need this working as a multimedia system as it's hooked up to the plasma in the front room.

Cheers!

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "Capabilities" "0x00000800"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

theApokalypsis
June 15th, 2009, 11:15 PM
AMD's drivers are still pretty spotty performance for compiz, also with making your CPU do the video work.

Although I just read about a 9.6 revision of the catalyst driver here (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzMyOA) with updates for playback, dual monitor etc. Im going to check it out myself.

I have a 4850, If still trouble I would suggest using the open source drivers for the time being (no compiz but 3D support is on the horizon) and great accelerated playback. radeon/radeonhd (xserver-xorg-video-ati or -radeon)

their comparison wiki http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature