PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound Problems..

ExplicitViper
June 14th, 2009, 05:17 AM
im using a USB Headset with a microphone attached to it. when the computer starts up i cannot hear the startup noise, yet i can hear myself breathing into the microphone and i can hear myself talking into it. when i start the movie player and watch videos from youtube there, i can hear the sounds. but when i start Mozilla and try to watch youtube videos, i do not get sound. also, i can go the my home folder/examples, and click on the example sound bit they have in there, and i can hear that sound. any suggestions?

Vostrocity
June 14th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I don't think USB headphones are fully plug-n-play in Ubuntu. You'd probably need to install drivers for it, if you're lucky enough that the OEM provided a Linux driver. What's the model number?

ExplicitViper
June 14th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Model number to the headset? that i dont know, but it is the Logitech G35 Headset.

Vostrocity
June 14th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Yea that's the model number I was referring to. Nice headphones btw, but unfortunately I don't think they will work. Windows is listed as a system requirement on the product page (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/internet_headsets_phones/devices/5095&cl=us,en). And here's what a Logitech rep wrote to someone else asking about Linux compatibility.

Hi Blackstone,

I remember you asking a similar question on the original G35 thread, and I remember writing a reply - but clearly I didnít actually post it (sorry - brain fade!). Although I have not personally tested the G35 on Linux, I am told that the performance is mixed - and without the Logitech software installed, you would lose the advanced features of the G35 anyway (Dolby Headphone 7.1, voice morphing, mic mute, G button functions, etc..). So unfortunately we canít recommend the G35 today as a Linux product.

Cheers, Ruben

ExplicitViper
June 14th, 2009, 07:24 AM
thats kinda weird cause i can hear sound out of the movie player just fine... just nothing else :(

Vostrocity
June 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM
What happens is that Ubuntu includes generic drivers for everything, like mice, keyboards, headphones. So they make an attempt at getting it to work, but because they're not specialized for your exact model they only partially work.