PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NTFS files turning to 0 bytes. What's the deal?

myk02k
June 13th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I've noticed a few movies/music on my NTFS partition being 0 bytes. It's possible that they got corrupted upon transfer, but I'm a little concerned that this may be from Ubuntu's NTFS reader. Any comments? Will it be probable that this will stop if I switch over that partition to ext3? If useful, I'm running 2 Western Digital 500 GB x 5400 RPM notebook SATA hard drives that are less than 7 months old.

expelledboy
June 14th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Make sure that it is just not nautilus reporting incorrectly.

cd /path/to/media/folder/
ls -hl
Have you tried playing the files? They arent corrupted if they work! :)

I suggest that you move to a linux partition format though, if you arent dual booting that is and want to share media.

myk02k
June 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Make sure that it is just not nautilus reporting incorrectly.

cd /path/to/media/folder/
ls -hl
Have you tried playing the files? They arent corrupted if they work! :)

I suggest that you move to a linux partition format though, if you arent dual booting that is and want to share media.

Everything seems OK with the path. The files do not work. I also have a dual-boot setup, but I do not use Windows for anything but Assassins Creed and Crysis nowadays. Therefore, a shared NTFS partition is becoming less necessary. It's just a pain to have to reformat.

expelledboy
June 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Ya it is abit.. but its worth it. :)

myk02k
June 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Ya it is abit.. but its worth it. :)

Hmm. I think I'll wait till Ubuntu 9.10 comes out and switch it to EXT4. That way I won't have to reformat twice.