PDA

View Full Version : Gnome: Make sweet menus?

nwarrenfl
June 13th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hi everybody!

I've been using Gnome since years, but yesterday i tried KDE and i must admit this desktop is very good, i especially liked the fact that Plasma looks very nice and that KDE is with one panel by default.

However i still use Gnome, and i personally don't like the menus, so i looked around on the web and found some projects like Gnome main menu and GnoMenu, but no one is as good as KDE's Raptor.

So i tought, wouldn't it be nice if there was a Gnome applet that would show a menu defined in a GtkBuilder file? This would mean you would be able to design menus by using the Glade interface designer and use them as themes for the menu applet.

I will maybe give this idea a try and make an applet. I will the names of each widget so that it would be the same for every theme.

For example: menu_search_entry as identifier for the search function for all themes, so coding the core of the applet would be simple and it would be just a matter of designing interfaces and using the defined names.

What is your opinion? Is it a good idea?
All comments or suggestions are welcome...

rylleman
June 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I think it's a great idea!
Basically all Gnome-themes are the same, a little different icons, a little different frames etc. but generally it's the same setup.
Having a powerful tool like this to change the menus from a deeper level would open up for a lot of interesting solutions and looks.

MasterNetra
June 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I think it's a great idea!
Basically all Gnome-themes are the same, a little different icons, a little different frames etc. but generally it's the same setup.
Having a powerful tool like this to change the menus from a deeper level would open up for a lot of interesting solutions and looks.

+1

Its about time for gnome to upgrade its appearance capabilities if it is to compete with KDE. ^.^

nwarrenfl
June 14th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Thanks for answering.

I've created a little prototype and i'll show it once i have something that really works.

The problem is that i don't know if we could make themes that do not look like GTK+, my idea was to make a GTK+ looking menu, but why not make it themeable, anybody knows if it is possible?

I am also searching an original name if i would ever be able to finish it! :D

Giant Speck
June 14th, 2009, 06:52 AM
If anything, I'd like the ability to create a simple custom menu on the panel.

nwarrenfl
June 14th, 2009, 07:21 AM
You mean custom menus by editing your own theme or by using an user interface?

Giant Speck
June 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM
You mean custom menus by editing your own theme or by using an user interface?

I mean a panel applet that allows me to make a custom menu.

For example, by default, you have the Applications, Places, and System menus. It'd be nice to create my own menu, too.

days_of_ruin
June 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for answering.

I've created a little prototype and i'll show it once i have something that really works.

The problem is that i don't know if we could make themes that do not look like GTK+, my idea was to make a GTK+ looking menu, but why not make it themeable, anybody knows if it is possible?

I am also searching an original name if i would ever be able to finish it! :D

How far is the prototype? Can I see the source?
Do you want/need any help?

nwarrenfl
June 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I mean a panel applet that allows me to make a custom menu.

For example, by default, you have the Applications, Places, and System menus. It'd be nice to create my own menu, too.

Well you would certainly be able to do that by simply editing the user interface file, maybe custom menus could be added (nice feature), but i'm far away from such an applet.

nwarrenfl
June 14th, 2009, 08:13 PM
How far is the prototype? Can I see the source?
Do you want/need any help?

I've been able to make something interesting, you can watch a preview of the prototype here (http://nwarrenfl.open-web.fr/ganjup/Menew.avi)...

Any comments and/or suggestions are welcome.

The next step will be to add the categories...

days_of_ruin
June 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I've been able to make something interesting, you can watch a preview of the prototype here (http://nwarrenfl.open-web.fr/ganjup/Menew.avi)...

Any comments and/or suggestions are welcome.

The next step will be to add the categories...

What language is it written in?

nwarrenfl
June 14th, 2009, 08:24 PM
It's written in C using GLib, which makes it very easy (by using GAppInfo)
The themes are GtkBuilder files...

I still search a good name! ;)

dudu-sama
August 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
hi nwarrenfl !

I am really very interested by your idea !
Is it possible to try it ?

very good work !!

ps : tu peux me contacter en francais par mp si tu veux ^^

thx