PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to open network stream

Nickkelbackk
June 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I am trying to stream a video from my windows box to my linux box. In vlc on linux there does not seem to be an option to open a network stream like there is in windows. If I got to open network, I have to enter in an ip and that does not make sense. So,is there a way to make the interface look like its windows counterpart. And how to open a network stream.

Thanks,
Nickkelbackk

Nickkelbackk
June 12th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Or at least does anyone know of a way to make my linux vlc look like my windows vlc. I know how to do it then. But, the option to open a network stream does not seem to be there in the linux version. Please Help

jefelex
June 12th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I thought the windows and the linux VLC were practically identical! I must be wrong! it's been so long since I've used windows on my home computer that anything MSDOSish is almost foreign - can't say that about my work computer, but I can't add or erase any software from it, or I'd try it out to see

Vlc is the best video app I have ever used, and I'm sure that there is a way to select the network stream without typing in the address of your windows machine. I'll work on it when I get home!

John

Nickkelbackk
June 13th, 2009, 12:07 AM
My menu buttons at the top on linux are: media audio video playback playlist tools help

The menu button on windows are like file and other stuff. On windows I just go file > open network stream and that is it. I do not know how to do it on linux though. Also everything I have read says that they have the same interface, so I do not know what is going on.

Nickkelbackk
June 13th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Can anybody confirm that vlc on linux has the same interface as mine. Thanks

jefelex
June 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Sorry Nickelbackk - you are correct, but you may find answers in the very good help files you can download from the VLC site - it has all the different interfaces for windows, mac and linux, and explains how they are similar and different

http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation

Hope this helps!!

John

Nickkelbackk
June 13th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I looked at that link and it told me how to do it. But, I am unsure of how to follow the directions. From what I read I just type this code:

% vlc -vvv rtp://

and that should open the stream. But, it says Bash: no such job
I am supposed to enter this in terminal right? Also, I am supposed to use local ips because I am streaming to somewhere inside my network. Lastly, is there an easier program to use. i do not want to have to use terminal everytime I wanna watch a god damn movie.
Thanks.

Nickkelbackk
June 13th, 2009, 02:38 PM
come on, someone must have streamed video from a windows pc to a linux pc before.

jefelex
June 13th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Nickelbackk - I'm still trying to figure out how to stream from my linux box to an xbox game console, so since that is an msdos thing, as soon as I have it figured out, I'll let you know!! I've been toying with it for months! :-)

John