PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Avoid GRUB in MBR when installing, how to?

arnoldus
June 12th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I want to install Ubuntu on my netbook, but don't want GRUB as the bootloader in the MBR, I want to keep the NTLDR and then chainload GRUB or GRUB4DOS from NTLDR.
Several sites mention to do a normal install, then FIXBOOT from Windows recovery to restore the windows MBR, and then chainload Grub from Ntldr (modify boot.ini). This is not possible from my netbook as I don't have a cd-rom or a windows cd, and additionally I don't feel comfortable overwriting the MBR in this way.

How do I proceed?

dstew
June 12th, 2009, 06:04 PM
At step 7 in the install process, the "Ready to Install" page, there is an Advanced button at the bottom. Click there, and I think you have the option to not install a boot loader. Configuring dual boot with the Windows boot system will then be left for you to do at your leisure. You might want to install grub into the boot sector of the Ubuntu partition (choice of (hd0,1) or something like that) so that Windows can chainload Ubuntu.

arnoldus
June 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Thank you, seems manageable.
Is it trial-and-error which number I put in the hd(0,x) or is there a method of finding it out with a command?

dstew
June 13th, 2009, 01:35 AM
During the installation, you have to designate a root partition (mount point '/', without the single quotes). Install grub to that partition. If for some reason you create a separate /boot partition, then I would install grub to that one. Just remember the partition designation from the partitioning step.

The partition notation for grub is (hd0,0) for /dev/sda1, (hd1,0) for /dev/sdb1, (hd1,1) for /dev/sdb2 etc. Instead of sda or sdb, the notation for disks (to install in MBR) is (hd0) or (hd1).